Chapter 18 - Sparrow

"Am I included in this meeting of yours?" Uncertainty escaped Yan's lips.

"Sorry to bother your perception, Lieutenant but this matter is very confidential and must be kept privy." The Nightblade shot the Lotus a painful and reassuring look that caused her to flinch.

"Indeed, Lieutenant. This kind of audience must be dealt without prying eyes. But I will tell you some of the details if," FCMD looked at a narrow-eyed Rainier. " I see it fit for you to tell." Nest made an apologizing look.

" Shall we begin discussing, Colonel?" The corners of Nest's mouth slightly twitched in instigation of the private matter, forcing her cheek muscles not to show a sarcastic smile or a look of neglect at her second-in-command, who secretly hiding her heated insecurity in her blank white china face. "Lieutenant, is there a room where we can talk without any auditory devices?"

"Yes of course, FCMD. This way, then." Then the seasoned veteran and the avenger started to follow the Lotus' steps out of the control tower, the stairs spiraling down as they went. The sun was at its zenith and the three officials haven't consumed lunch. Yan led them to a small tent in isolation to one of the watchmen and lent it for a while until the small convene is over. Lieutenant and the guards in the vicinity left the tent. FCMD's second-in-command went to her section as she took the tumbler from her small table and quenched her thirst and took shelter for a while, stopped her overthinking and sat.

"What news do you bring about the Shimada, Colonel?" Nest formed a squat position as she was finished zipping the folds. She was just behind the polyester drape, trying to sense anything if someone outside was eavesdropping near them. Then she looked at Rainier who was sitting on the small mat by his broad form, his height had almost reached the top of the tent.

"I have a small list of prominent members of the empire. All of them are here in Koto. I did not bring a folder or a device but, my memory skills would prove enough to get you informed of the details." He made a profound gesture, the texture of his voice made Y/N remember unknown flashes of memories. She quickly discarded the intervening occurrence as she focused on Rainier's report.

"You know their criminal leader, or oyabun in Japanese. Sojiro Shimada. Her wife died of unknown reasons. He had two sons, now in adulthood and growing soon to rule the criminal empire. With that, " Nest made a formal surprise look on her face. Sons? Two of them? She thought.

"Where did you get all of this information?" Nest asked in fidelity.

"We have captured some of the dogs and interrogated them. Their defiance is admirable but I gave them some unimaginable pain. I injected a ticking poison in each and soon started to give precious intel. They're desperate for the antidote, which is just an enhancer." His looks are somewhat serious and secretly threatening. Nest felt roughness in her skin

"You didn't keep a single one of them alive in the pen?" Nest frowned. Her chance in outwearing her anger towards the clan are lost. "Anyway, continue."

"They said that they were the scions of the Shimada Clan and they will replace their father to rule their underground illegitimate business. The older one was getting eager to get his hands on us. A dangerous target. His name was Hanzo Shimada. 27 of age."

"What about the younger one?"

"Not much was known about this member. Those criminals say he wasn't interested in the family business and made his own life. I didn't believe at first but, proof shows that the Shimada are getting week these days. Though he had a nickname." Rainier shrugged as he swung himself lightly into an imaginary rocking chair, full of boredom. Nest already had a great feeling in this.

"And?" She kept her gaze straight to the Nightblade.

"They call him Sparrow." Nest formed a side smile, the satisfaction in knowing her prey kept her tenacious at all times. Rainier was late to observe FCMD's face, but still attempted to make a remark. "Hmmm, it seems you are listening very carefully. Getting a handful of the info?" He teased, his eyes narrowing.