79 The Scroll (6)

In the room, Yuyan hid behind the bed, closing her eyes out of fear. She heard metal clanking, footsteps running about along with grunts.

It seemed like an eternity for her as she waited and waited until finally, there was no more sound. It was absolutely silent, raising the terror in her heart.

Yuyan didn't dare to get up. She remained in the position for a bit longer until the sound of slow footsteps alerted her.

What if it's an assassin?

She didn't dare peek out and anticipated for whoever it was to launch an attack when she heard a sigh.

Yuyan knew it too well and quickly came out from her hiding spot. Without a word, she hugged Wu Xingxie tighly, throwing them back.

"Eldest Miss, I was so scared. I thought they'd killed you." Yuyan refused to let go of the girl who was a bit shock by her actions.

"Silly girl. I won't die easily." Wu Xingxie smiled but hidden in her eyes were malevolence not because of her actions. It was because what happened was out of her expectations.

"I killed all of them. We have to leave." She suggested and Yuyan agreed because this place wasn't safe any longer. Still, it was unsafe for them to go out since there could be more
assassins throughout the palace.

Despite seeming calm, Wu Xingxie's fingers trembled. It was the first time she killed someone. Before time traveling, she had never killed anyone, so now, it was not only the first, but second, third, and fourth time she killed someone as well.

It wasn't my fault. They were bent on killing me. I simply defended myself!

"Let's go." Wu Xingxie took Yuyan's hand, leading them out the room. On their way out, the stench of blood filled Yuyan's nostrils, almost making her gag. Everything felt so surreal, she found it hard to believe that Eldest Miss killed those men.

Their lifeless body scattered around on the ground, red splattered about. It was a disturbing sight to see so Yuyan shut her eyes, relying on Wu Xingxie to guide them out.

It was Wu Xingxie's first time in the palace so she wasn't familiar with the places. She could only scan the surroundings, and head where there was no one.

Guards were running around, probably searching for the assassins.

Wu Xingxie eventually found an old building which looked abandoned. She tried opening the door, which happened to be unlocked. No one else was near so the girls entered, with Wu Xingxie explaining what they had to do.

"We'll hide here until the other assassins have been dealt with. I'm sure they'll send someone to look for us. Once we're found, we'll say that we hid here to avoid the assassins."

"Remember to act frightened. You can even cry if you want to." Wu Xingxie advised calmly.

"Mhm.." Yuyan was an expert in putting up the pitiful servant act. The two always used this act to gain sympathy from who they were fooling.

They stayed in the room for what seemed like hours, occasionally whispering to each other.

Although the situation was serious, Yuyan felt glad that Wu Xingxie was by her side. They were sitting on the floor, side by side so Yuyan leaned her head on Wu Xingxie's shoulders.

Wu Xingxie glanced at her, her mirthful eyes not leaving her friend.

Before, I failed to protect you, but this time I won't let anyone hurt you.

"Eldest Miss..." Yuyan whispered, moving into a comfortable position.

"What is it?" Wu Xingxie responded in the same volume, being careful not to be heard.

Yuyan pondered for a while, wondering what she should ask. She wanted to know more about the future now that Wu Xingxie revealed her secret.

"Why did you return? Was there something you were disappointed with in the future?"
Yuyan didn't want to come off as an interrogator, so she quickly added,

"If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to tell me."

Wu Xingxie remained silent for a few minutes, in deep thought about what she should say.

***
The sun shone on the grassy field, illuminating a certain man's sly smile. His face glistening as he gazed down at the object in his hands.

With a clear voice, he told his servants to deal with the motionless bodies on the ground, and burn the whole place down.

Black Immortal admired the object, caressing it as if it was his life. The man squeezed it in his hands as he formally proclaimed,
"No matter what, I will never let you have your ways! If I can't be contented, then you can't either."

Eyes flashing with acrimony, the man laughed in derision as he thought about his own plans to wreak revenge on the man who took away his happiness.

Even it took him thousands of years, he'd do anything to get justice.