Chapter 29 - What's Going On?

(Kyson's POV)

I didn't shoot Tyler, it was no secret. I shot the ground next to his head, I couldn't do it. I wasn't going to let him win. Instead I let him lay there until the paramedics came, bleeding out. Kaiser came to before the police got there and took off with his little brother, Payton.

I was nothing like Tyler. He brought a gun to a fist fight. He went after Scarlett, Lyle, and Lanie just to get to me. He was never playing fair, he wanted me to suffer in multiple ways which is why he told Scarlett about my deal.

I honestly felt bad for Payton, he was dragged into all of this bullshit with his older brother and Tyler. Tyler had threaten Payton with Kaiser, and threaten Kaiser with Payton. Tyler is a dick. He was willing to get a 14 year-old kid in trouble because he wanted to seek revenge on me.

Tyler was putting everybody into the line of fire except for himself. He wanted to make me suffer at the expense of others; he's a coward.

After leaving the hospital, I needed to cool off.

"She told me to leave." I told Lyle, I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. "She told me that she didn't love me anymore and that I had failed her and Lanie."

Lyle sighed from the passenger seat next to me. "I hope you didn't believe her."

We were on our way up to the gym. I had left the hospital a few hours ago. And I couldn't stop thinking about the break up. I know Scarlett was doing this because of the deal, but I knew that she would be just as broken up about it as me. Which is why I called her two best friends to go down there and comfort her.

I told them everything. I understand that it was Scarlett's story to tell, but I wanted them to know what they were walking into. And with them knowing everything, then they would know how to comfort her.

"Of course I didn't believe her when she said that she doesn't love me." I groaned, turning into the parking lot of the gym. "But I did fail her, and I failed Lanie."

Lyle stayed quiet, maybe because he agreed with me. But when I snuck a glance at him, his mouth was wide open and his eyes wide; he looked shocked. I followed his gaze as he was staring at the front of the gym.

I followed his stare to see an older woman putting up a sign on the doors before she locked them.

"I have a feeling that today is about to get a lot worse." Lyle said.

I had that same feeling.

I swolled the lump in my throat as I hopped out of my truck and ran up to the lady. When I got closer to her, I could see the tears in her eyes and the sadness in her face; she was crying.

"Excuse me?" I felt Lyle walking up behind me. "What's going on?"

She pouted. "Well, the owner passed away last night; my father."

My heart and stomach dropped out my ass and hit the floor with a splat. I felt instantly sick; I wanted to throw up everything. I don't even remember eating, but I swear I felt like I had to barf.

"He what?" I asked in disbelief.

She wiped her fallen tears. "He was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago with not long to live."

I was light headed and heavy hearted.

That explained why he looked for pale, and was coughing so much; he looked sickly. And I didn't even notice it. He was dying right in front of me.

"Your selling the place?" I asked her.

She nodded, sniffling. "We have no choice. We have to pay for his burial service, he had no life insurance."