Chapter 15

It felt like my heart went into my stomach as I hear a load of gunfire, thankfully by the constant gunfire, it's shouting that they are both alright and still fighting but it did worry me when it would stop.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I suddenly hear Chloe, I turn around to focus my eyes on her. I raise an eyebrow in confusion at her sudden question. I slowly nod my head as I reply. "Yeah, I'm good,"

Chloe moves to stand beside me, placing her hand on my shoulder. "I know that being on an adventure like this, is affecting you especially with what happened last time and I know about your mother knowing Marlowe is also affect you,"

I smile knowing that she was right, I was glad that our friendship has developed for the better and we're no longer 'enemies'. "You're right but... I need to get over those that are affecting me, so we can find what we are in fact looking for,"

Chloe nods her head, "How do you feel about coming back to treasure hunting?" I simply shrug my shoulders, I really didn't want to do this but the only reason I am here is for Nate and my father, I knew they wanted to do this and someone had to watch their backs as they always managed to get in trouble.

"Even though I didn't want to do it, don't get me wrong, I do want to have a normal life. I can't deny having that thrill again from being her treasure hunting," I reply as Chloe nods and agree, she was about to carry on the conversation, just as Nate popped up through the gap of the wall.

"God Nate... Are you alright?" I question as I move so I'm standing in front of him. Placing my hands on his arms. "Yeah, still in one piece anyway. Come on, I think we're onto something. Are you okay?" 

He whispers the last part to me. "Yeah, I'm good," I remove my hands from his arms and gesture him to go first and show us what he and Charlie may have found. We all follow after Nate who jumped off the ledge on the part we stood on and to the one below.

I observe the scene in front of me, I didn't understand what this place is about until Nate and Charlie announces an entrance should be here and the faith for this quickly starts fading as apparently Lawernce only got this far.

I follow Nate around the corner hoping an entrance is around, I stroll towards the wall in front of me, feeling with my hand if there are any secret piece on the wall which could open it but nothing was discovered.

It doesn't really help that none of us knows what we're actually searching for. "Where the hell's Charlie?" I shrug my shoulders as a reply, not bothering to turn to look at him as my father simply replies "Who knows,"

Nate leaves to go search for Charlie, suddenly I hear a gun being drawn. We all turn to that Nate is actually the one that has his gun out and pointing it at someone around the corner. I grab a hold of my gun and jog to where Nate was standing.

I gulp as I point my gun ready to shot once I notice that Charlie is actually with Talbot, "No, no, no," Nate repeats as he gestures us all to stop but it didn't stop us from aiming our guns at Talbot who has now got a gun raised at Charlie's head.

Talbot suddenly disappears with the journal which causes Nate to curses as Talbot backs away to where we had originally come from. I let my hand drop just before running with the others towards Charlie who is standing near to where Talbot disappeared.

"He's gone. How in the world...?" My father questions in confusion, I place my hand on my waist just as confused as everyone else. "Charlie?"

I turn once I hear Chloe's voice, I see Charlie with his hands raised which seems to be telling Nate to stay away, he turns to look at her just before Nate grabs something out of his neck causing him to flinch.

"Look at this," Nate holds out the object that he managed to remove from Charlie's neck. "God, is that a tranquillizer?" I question, turning my sight to look at Nate who nods, confirming what it is.

"Oh, man, what kind of black ops bullshit is this?"

"Let's just hope he didn't have a big dose," Chloe replies to my father just before Charlie holds onto his neck and start repeating the word no. "Easy now. Look at me. Charlie. Right here. C'mon we've got to move now, okay?" Nate tries to calm him down, he was about to touch his shoulder but Charlie suddenly shrugs him off and growls.

"Don't touch me. Get away from me," I felt a little nervous with us being around his especially after him having an unknown dosage and now with him acting this way. "No one's touching you, Charlie," Chloe tries to reassure him and stop him from doing anything serious.

"What the hell was in that dart?" 

"Your face is peeling off," Charlie mentions to Nate, I couldn't help but stare at him both worried and concerned about the other, he is really off his face on whatever they had given him. I move back away once he pushed my father and him off of him for trying to help him.

"Charlie... come on, come with us," I tell him with my hands up, just in case he comes for me. Charlie thankfully agrees but not before announcing that the floor is melting. They really dosed him up with whatever they gave him.

But we really needed to keep moving before Talbot's men finally show up.