Chapter 16

We all walk past the now open passage, I thank Chloe as she passes me one of the torches, I turn to see that Nate had closed the door allowing it to become secret once again.  "The way up and the way down are one and the same," 

I follow the path beside Chloe as my father and Nate stayed close to Charlie, I'm still wondering what kind of drug they had used as I'm not going to lie but I do feel nervous around him when he's like this, I definitely don't trust him when he's like this. Who knows what he could do because of the drug.

I stop in my tracks, allowing the others to walk past so I could work beside Nate, "I feel really nervous around Charlie... I don't trust him in this way," Nate nods, seemly agree with me, I move my arm out so Nate could take the torch as my arm is no starting to ache because I've been holding it in the air for too long, so I thought it should be Nate's turn.

"I know, but don't worry we'll be alright," Nate tries to reassure me, rubbing my shoulder with his free hand. I send him a smile but it wasn't a real one and he knew that but I think he just decided to ignore it and carry on walking.

"Looks like we'll have to squeeze through here," Chloe announces, I sign as we come closer to the crack in the wall. "All right, you two go ahead. I'll help Charlie," I nod as I walk past Charlie before following after my father. My left arm stretches through the crack, gripping onto a part of the wall and carefully using it to help pull me through. Once I get through I quickly release the breath, I didn't realise I was holding.

I could hear Nate encouraging Charlie through the shallow space. "All right, we're through," My father calls as we all wait at the end for Nate. "Oh wait, there's another passage up ahead," I turn around, not noticing any other passage until now, I sign in disbelief, of course, there is another one. I gesture for Chloe and my father to go first, I really didn't want to leave Nate on his own with Charlie but I know he can look after himself so I decided just to listen and meet them at the end.

We were halfway through the other passage, only to hear Nate shouting. "Guys, we need to go back!" I tell them as I quickly try and squeeze back up the passageway and it wasn't easy but at least I know the way. I gasp once I see that Charlie had his hands around Nate's throat, just strangling him. 

"Nate!" I call as panic set through me, thankfully that the others had turned up, my father quickly moved up behind Charlie, grabbing his arms around him to try and pull him away from Nate. I grab onto Charlie's arm, trying to push him away from him or even pry them off of his neck but he was just too strong.

Suddenly my father let's go and pulls out his gun, telling us to get back. My hands were just shaking and there wasn't anything else that I could do so I move away, knowing that this could be our only option, Chloe quickly stops him and actually starts trying to calm him down and suddenly Chloe's words hit him and he lets Nate go.

I quickly move towards Nate, who is now on the floor taking a few deep breaths and coughs I place my hand on his back as a comfort. "Nate! You alright?" I question, just as he moves to lie on the floor, holding onto his throat, I look up from Nate to see Charlie leaning against the wall and I knew it was the drug that caused him to do this so I didn't blame him one bit but my family always comes first and if my father had to shot him to save Nate, I would have allowed him.

Chloe quickly offers Nate a hand up once he stops coughing and his breathing is more under control. "Nate. Nate, Nate, I'm really sorry," Charlie apologises, Nate nods and taps his shoulder before pushing him away. It's completely understandable but I could see just from his face that he is sorry for what he did.

"Hold on a sec- You weren't... You weren't gonna shoot me, were ya mate?" Charlie questions my father, who just shrugs his shoulder and replies a rabid dog, Charlie just nods his head before Nate erupts and now start leading us through the second passage. I allow Chloe to go behind Nate before I followed after them, just pleased that this is now over and almost at the end.