Prologue

Melody

Grief overtook me as I watched people lower their coffins to the ground. My whole body shook as tears streamed down my bare face and I swallowed the bile in my throat. They were both gone leaving me all alone in this world with no one to guide me. They were all I had, but now suddenly they were gone, being buried six feet underground.

Emma was by my side, hugging me to her chest, her own tears blurring her eyes. All those times and moments spent together flashed before my eyes and I fell to the ground overwhelmed by the sudden flashback. An agony wail left me as I tried to get up and run to them. It should've been me who was dead not them.

"No no, don't bury them, please please don't bury them", I cried out as I tugged at the person's jacket.

"Mom, Dad come on open your eyes and tell me you guys are okay", I begged them.

"I am sorry Melody", Aiden bent down and picked me up bridal style.

A sob racked through my whole being as I saw the people now lowered their coffins and we're silently standing still with grim expressions. My mind refused to accept they weren't with me anymore and I suddenly let out a laugh as their faces crossed over my mind.

"Melody come on", Emma came to my side as Aiden lowered me to the floor.

"They're not gone, they can't be gone", I turned my eyes to Emma.

She thinned her lips and pulled me into a tight hug. I kept whispering things I didn't even understand. The two people I've loved all my life were now buried and I didn't know what to do with my life anymore. When I had problems I would always go to them, but now I didn't have that anymore.

"Let's get you home", Emma whispered and began pulling me to the car.

Besides my parents, she was the only person who could understand me, I was a stubborn woman who didn't give a fuck about what people said and she understood me without me having to tell her every little thing. Emma was like a sister to me and I couldn't be more thankful to her when she softly shut the car's door and began to reverse out of the parking lot.

The car was filled with silence, laying my head against the window, I felt my whole body relax and my mind wandered off to somewhere else. Now I didn't have a purpose to live anymore, my parents were the only people who were keeping me together but I was so confused now.

"We're here", I heard Emma say and looked up towards what used to be a house filled with happy memories.

Swallowing, I pushed the door open and stepped out of it. Emma was by my side in a flash and we both made our way towards the house. I felt my eyes become blurred as a new set of tears began to fall. Taking a deep breath, I fished out my keys and unlocked the door.

As soon as the door was pulled open, I fell unable to keep my own weight up and an ugly sob left me. Without them here, the house looked haunted and empty. Their sweet smell combined and lingered in the air, making it hard for me to breathe.

Hearing footsteps shuffle closer to me, my head snapped up and met Emma's eyes. She bent down and took my arms in hers to pull me up. My lips wobbled as I pulled her into a hug and her scent hit me relaxing my mind.

"It'll be okay", Her hands rubbed my back in circular motions.

Nodding my head, I drew my body away from hers and wiped my tears. Sighing, I glanced towards the kitchen and instantly a memory hit me. My breath hitched in my throat as I imagined my parents making dinner, laughing at their own jokes.

My feet worked on their own accord and took me to the stove. I gazed at it as the tears made their presence known again. Emma stood by my side watching my actions cautiously. My hands gripped the edge of the stove as I saw my mom smiling at me from the window.

I must be going crazy.

I shook my head and the image disappeared from my mind leaving it blank. I blinked multiple times before looking up and making eye contact with Emma. Giving me a wobbly smile, she took my hand in hers and tugged me towards the stairs.

"Get your stuff", She said and opened my room's door.

Without wasting another second, I got my luggage out and began to throw some undergarments and clothes into it. We both knew, I couldn't stay here, if I did I would be haunted by the memories of my parents and would probably go crazy.

So she suggested moving to Italy and I agreed in a heartbeat. Zipping up my suitcase, I turned towards Emma and she gave me a meek smile. Walking up to her, I closed the door behind me and we both went downstairs.

"You sure, I won't be a bother to you?", I asked her.

"You're delusional, if you think I would leave you all alone, we're both in this together", She softly squeezed my hand.

"Thank you, for being here", I whispered whole heartedly.

"Always", She got out of the house, with me behind her.

Sitting in the car, I wondered how my life took a sudden tragic turn. We were a happy family who didn't even bother anyone, everyone knew my parents because they always helped and supported them even if they didn't have money in their pockets. But just in blink of an eye they were gone, leaving their trail behind them.

Minutes later, we arrived at the airport and Aiden came to meet us. We all made our way towards the line. As my turn got closer, I couldn't help the empty feeling that took over me when I handed the girl my passport. She stamped it and gave it back followed with the ticket.

Sighing I waited for Aiden and Emma to be done. Once they were handed their tickets, we walked towards the plane where a man took our tickets and instructed us to seat in our assigned seats.

Well here is to a new start.

————————————————————————-

Please don't forget to vote and comment❤️.