44

*LEXI'S POV*
I wanted to make sure Gracie knew she was safe, and I wanted to show her how much I loved her. So I decided to surprise her. She was home showering so I told her I had to grab something from my house. I borrowed her car and drove to the shop. I bought a bottle of iron-bru which was Gracie's current favourite, a packet of skittles, and four cans of root beer. I also bought her a tub of Ben and Jerry's cookie dough switch up. I made sure not to forget to select a bunch of flowers.

I then drove to the Italian restaurant to collect our order that I'd already rang up to place. Over the time I'd been with Gracie she'd never once got something different off of the menu, she'd always examine it and pretend that she was debating getting a different dish but always ended up ordering the same thing she'd been having for years. Rigatoni al Manzo Picante. I wasn't very hungry so I just ordered myself some cheese and chilli dough balls. I also added some garlic bread onto our order knowing that Gracie always asked for it.

I pulled her car into a parking space then proceeded to get out and walk over to the restaurant doors. I was met by the mouth watering smell the Italian food greeted me with. I breathed it in and smiled, I was happy with my decision to order from there.

I hadn't seen Mrs H since earlier that morning, I just assumed that she'd had a longer shift at work and that was why she wasn't home when we got home from school. I was surprised when I spotted her seated at a table, a seat opposite her, empty but clearly taken. A jacket was placed over the chair and a glass was full on that side of the table.

A man in uniform made his way towards me with a smile on his face, "Good evening," he said to me. I smiled, then replied by repeating his words, with an addition of, "I placed an order about half an hour ago, to collect,"

"Okay that should be nearly ready, I'll go and check for you," The man replied. I thanked him and flashed him another smile to be polite.

I turned my head and saw Mrs H still sat alone, so I began to walk in her direction. She didn't see me at first, but I saw what she was holding, it was a ring, her wedding ring. It was secured between her index fingers and thumbs as she was examining it. I made my presence known as soon as I walked over to the table, she looked up, stunned that she saw me there. I had this feeling in my gut that she was meeting up with Gracie's dad, Christopher, and I really hoped she wasn't. He was no good, and he'd really hurt Gracie. If he was a good parent he would have been there when Caleb was in the hospital.

Mrs H stopped fiddling with the ring and shoved it in her bag, an attempt to hide it from me. "I was hoping not to see any of you," She mentioned, which made her seem guilty. I shrugged it off because I knew she would never take back Christopher, he was an arsehole and she knew it too.

"Why?" I questioned, hoping it wasn't what I was thinking. She had probably just met a man through work and had been asked out on a date, it was simple, but of course I had to overthink the situation like I always did.

"I'm on a date," She smiled shyly, almost as if she was embarrassed about the whole concept. I mean, she had been married not long ago, only recently had the divorce settlement came through.

"Seriously? I thought you were just sat alone at a fancy restaurant," I joked, which made her grin. I enjoyed making her smile, knowing that she approved of my relationship with Gracie made me so happy, and I always felt like I had to prove myself to her, and show her that I was good enough for her daughter.

"I've decided it was time to move on," She responded, with a slight shrug.

"Damn Mrs H," I was proud that she wanted to put herself out there and find someone else.

"Are you ever gonna call me Vanessa?" She questioned, but by the smile on her face I could tell she was only joking. She didn't mind that I didn't call her Vanessa, and honestly I didn't really know why I didn't, it had just become a thing.