Chapter 12

1 Month Later

    Samuel has not spoken a word to me since that day. We have gotten into a silent routine over this past month. I still haven't heard from my sister. My mom hasn't heard from her in a while, either. She is starting to worry. I'm not worried about her. I know that sounds pretty messed up since she IS my sister, but I don't think she is in any harm and if she is it's her own fault.

Today is Friday. I love Fridays. When Samuel's mom gets home I plan on leaving and going straight home to Netflix and my bed. They have both been calling my name. Currently, I'm sitting down on the couch in the living room at Samuel's parents home. Samuel's prosthetic legs have arrived, but it is still a little too early for him to start wearing them yet. Since he is missing both of his legs instead of just one it is going to be an extra challenge for him to learn to walk with them, but IF he has faith he can do it.

       Samuel  refuses to let me help him use the bathroom or help bathe him. I'm not going to force myself on him. I'm beginning to wonder what my purpose is here. I feel so useless. He doesn't even want me here.

     I hear the front door open. I get up off of the couch and go grab my purse off of the kitchen counter. Samuel's mom comes into the kitchen.  She looks at me and then at my purse that is already on my shoulder.

"Bad day?" She questions.

I sigh. "I just don't see why you need me here. He doesn't want me to help him. "

She sits down at the kitchen table. "I don't want him to be home alone all day while I'm at work. "

"I understand that, but maybe you should find somebody else to sit here with him. He doesn't want me here. He won't speak to me or even look at me for that matter."

She sighs, heavily. "You are such a sweet girl.  I should have known he wouldn't want you here because of you being Brittany's sister....I should have known better."

I don't know what to say to that. What can I say?

"I'm nothing like my sister." I finally say.

Her eyes dart over to mine, quickly. "Trust me. I know that, sweetheart."

"Well, I hope that you have a good weekend." I tell her, abruptly. I want out of this awkward conversation now. I leave the kitchen and go out the front door without another look back. I have my bed and Netflix to get home to.