Chapter 53

"Are you listening to me, Karrington?" Samuel's mom tilts her head to the side and asks me. I completely zoned out on everything else that she said after she dropped the bomb on me about how Brittany had Samuels baby....this all sounds way too crazy to be true. I can't wrap my head around it all.

"Yes, I'm sorry...." I tell her. I take a deep breath. "Where was the baby when Brittany first came back home?" I never once saw her with a baby.

"She got one of her old friends to take care of him while she was sorting everything out." She tells me.

"Do Brittany and the baby live in your house now?" I ask. I'm not even sure if I really want to know the answer to this question, but I ask it anyways.

     Samuel's mom looks away from me and sighs, heavily. "Brittany and the baby are living with us right now...yes." She turns her gaze back on me. She looks like she feels sorry for me. I don't know why. It's not like she ever knew anything was going on between me and Samuel...or did she ? Was I that obvious? Were my feelings written all over my face? I would like to think that my emotions weren't slapped all over my face right now.

      I'm trying my very best to keep my feelings bottled up inside of me right now. I don't want Samuel's mom to see how much this is hurting me. I feel like my heart has been cut into millions of tiny little pieces and then flushed down the toilet.

"How does it feel to be a grandma?" I ask her.

She narrows her eyes and gives me a strange look. "I'm not even sure if it is my grandson." She snaps.

"Then why are you letting them live with you?" I ask, confused.

She sighs. "Because Samuel wants to do the right thing by Brittany and the baby."

"That makes sense...I guess." I hate this conversation. I wish there was a hole that I could jump in right now.

"Brittany refuses to do a DNA test." She tells me.

"That sounds like something that my sister would do." I tell her, honestly.

I can't believe that we are standing in the grocery store by the grapes having this kind of conversation. People are just walking past us and going on with their lives.

"I miss having you around." She tells me, softly.

I give her a small smile, but I don't say anything. She doesn't say anything else either. She gives me a smile and walks away. I don't stop her.