Chapter 16

2 Weeks Later

      Things between Samuel and I have gotten a lot better. And, according to his mom, he has been talking to her a little bit. I call that improvement. Although, I have been avoiding getting physically close to him as much as I possibly can since the day in his room two weeks ago. It feels like we crossed a line when we touched one another....even though it was just a simple touch. I, also, am still feeling awkward about admitting that I found him attractive. That's not something that you normally tell your sisters ex-fiancé...., but if I'm being totally honest I have always thought that he was good looking ever since the first time that I met him.

        Over the past two weeks, I have noticed Samuel looking at me in a way that I have never seen him look at me before. I can't even really describe it, but it makes me feel nice. I have no clue why, but it does. I'm happy to see him coming out of his shell a little bit more each and everyday. He still has a long way to go, but I know that he will get there.

"Samuel's birthday is tomorrow." His mom announces to me while we are both sitting in the kitchen at her home.

"Really? I didn't know that. " I take a sip of my coffee.

"Yes. We were going to bring him out to dinner, but he said that he would rather stay at home...." She sighs.

"Baby steps." I tell her, and I give her shoulder a light pat.

"I know.....I'm so happy that he is speaking to me again." She gives me a small smile. I smile right back at her.

"Maybe you guys could have a dinner for him here at the house. I think that would be lovely." I suggest.

"Do you think that he would actually come out of his room?" She asks, warily.

"I'll talk to him about it." I tell her.

Hopefully I will be able to convince him.