Chapter 54

What has my life become? I feel like I should be waking up from a nightmare at any given moment.

         I take a deep breath. I can't believe what I am about to do, but I HAVE to do it. It's been two weeks since I saw Samuel's mom at the grocery store and I haven't been able to stop thinking about what she told me.

            I'm standing in front of Samuel's home debating whether or not I should ring the door bell. I take another deep breath and ring it. What have I got to lose? Nothing. That's what.

            Samuel's mother answers the door. She doesn't look too shocked to see me. A huge smile takes over her face. "Karrington, what brings you over here?" She asks. I gulp. My hearts beating fast in my chest. My face feels hot. "I wanted to see my nephew." I tell her. That's not completely a lie. Do my parents know about their grandson? Do my parents know about her huge web of lies?

            Samuel's mom nods her head and gestures for me to come inside. I oblige. "Thank you." I tell her as I walk inside of her home. "Samuel is in the living room with the baby." She tells me. She walks away back to kitchen. Where is Brittany? I wonder.

            I turn the corner into the living room. Samuel is sitting on the couch. His back  is facing me. I can see the baby is asleep in his arms. I look away and then I look back. Why does this make my heart hurt so much? Samuel was never mine. But you wanted him to be ; my subconscious tells me.

              I'm scared to make him aware of my presence. What will he do? What will he say? What will Brittany do? She hates my guts. She has threatened me. But was she really serious about those threats? Come on. I'm her sister.

            I walk around the couch, slowly, to stand directly in front of him. His dark brown eyes lift up to meet my dark blue ones. "Karrington." He whispers. "Samuel." I whisper back. He glances down at the baby boy in his arms and then back up at me with a guilty expression on his face.

           "He looks like he is sleeping good." I say, trying to make small talk. Samuel looks down at the baby once again and then back at me. "You really shouldn't be here, Karrington." He tells me.

           After all of this time, that's what he is going to say to me when we see each other. Did our friendship mean nothing to him at all? "Why not? Is it going to make your girlfriend upset?" I ask, with an edge to my voice. Samuel glares at me. "I don't have a girlfriend." I laugh, but not in a good way. "You could have fooled me." I roll my eyes.

             "It's not like that, and you know it." He says, while still glaring at me. "I don't know anything, Samuel. I don't know anything at all!!" I scream. I start pacing back and forth in front of him. "You haven't told me anything, Samuel!!!" I yell.

            "It's complicated, Karrington." He tells me, with a frown on his face. "Life is complicated, Samuel." I tell him. He frowns at me and looks down at the baby again. "Do you really want to know everything ?" He asks. "More than anything." I breathe.