Chapter 28

2 weeks later

      My phone is ringing. It's the middle of the night. I was just about to finally fall asleep. I've been having a hard time falling asleep lately. A lot has been on my mind. Who could this be calling me this late?

     I groan, roll over,  unplug my phone from the charger, and look at the screen. My heart stops.

"Hello?" I answer, my voice is trembling.

"Karrington!" Brittany exclaims from the other side of the phone.

"Brittany." I whisper.

"How are you?" She asks. Her voice sounds happy. She sounds happy.

"I'm good. How are you?" I ask. Although, there are so many other questions that I really want to ask, but I don't.

"I'm great!" She exclaims on the other end. She sounds almost giddy.

"That's good...." I trail off. Why is she calling so late? Why is this the first time that she has called me since she left without so much as a word?

"I'm coming home." She tells me. I can almost hear a grin on her face.

"When?" I ask. I sit up in my bed.

"Tomorrow." She tells me.

"Oh...." My hands start shaking. What does this mean? Why is she coming back all of the sudden?

"I haven't told mom and dad yet. Don't tell them. You are the only one I have told." I hear laughter in the background. Where is she?

"Why can't I tell them?" I ask.

"I want them to be surprised." She says, as if that's all the explanation that is needed.

I sigh. "Fine."

"See you tomorrow, little sis."

"See you tomorrow, Brittany."

She hangs up.

Originally, I pictured Joey King as Karrington when I first started writing this story

Originally, I pictured Joey King as Karrington when I first started writing this story. What do you think of her as Karrington?