two

“You know, you should get a houseplant

“You know, you should get a houseplant. It would liven up the place.” I said as I stood in the lounge room. I thought it was a helpful comment, but apparently not.

Suddenly the light was on and a gloved fist was flying for my face.

It was an attack I easily blocked, and I retaliated by punching him in the diaphragm. He only took one second to catch his breath before he swung his metal arm towards my head.

“Shit,” I swore as I ducked and rolled out of the way of the attack. “You don’t recognise me?!”

“No!” He answered, once again going to attack me. I shoved my hands in the air, a sign of mercy.

“белый Волк, белый Волк.” The words made him freeze, I just couldn’t tell if it was because it was Russian or because he remembered. “I’m not here to fight, I just want to talk.” I explained.

“Then why were you in my apartment? With the lights off? Waiting for me to get home?” He asked.

“If I’m honest, my people skills aren’t great so I thought I would avoid the awkwardness of knocking on your door by breaking in.” I told him.

“And what do you want with me? I’m not the Winter Soldier anymore, so whatever you’re about to pull me into I don’t want a part of it.”

“You’re not the only one trying to make amends, you know. The least you could do is remember me.” I told him, crossing my arms. “And I’m not going to pull you into anything, like I said, I just want to talk.”

“The Red Room, ‘white wolf’ in Russian were the words used to stop me when you could no longer fight me.” James stated, I nodded.

“Did you remember that before or just because I said it.”

“I remember everything, or at least I thought I did.”

“So it’s because I said it.”

“You’re one of the Black Widows, Anastasia Morozov. The first time I saw you was when you were twelve, you lasted two minutes and six seconds against me. The second time you were fourteen, you lasted ten minutes and twenty seconds. The third time you were sixteen…”

“And I hit you very hard over the head, which was something we weren’t supposed to do. I didn’t understand why until I did. You froze and I thought I was going to die.” I told him, he still seemed confused. “But instead you stared at me, extremely confused and asked where you were. I knocked you out of the brainwashing, and all of us that were in there had to be hurried out so that you could be put under again.”