eight

bucky

bucky

"They were all super soldiers, Sam." I stated the obvious as we walked towards the town we were going to be picked up from. Ana had talked to us over the comms, said to move ahead and that she would catch up.

"I know." He agreed with me, that was a good start. But that's all it was, a start to a long line of questions. "You're welcome, by the way." He added, probably talking about saving me from getting run over by that truck. Not that I needed the help. I took a deep breath.

"Sorry about Redwing." I said, trying to change the topic of conversation away from me having to thank him for something I didn't need.

"No, you're not." Well, that was probably easy to guess. "What's going on in that big cyborg brain of yours?"

"It's computing." I replied. Where the hell did they get the serum from?

"You know what?" I took another deep breath to prepare myself for what was about to come out of his mouth. "I can actually see it. I can see the gears turning. Oh, they're malfunctioning, shutting down. Yep, they're on fire."

"We gotta figure out where the serum's coming from." I said simply. I didn't really feel like any of this was as light hearted as Sam was making it out to be.

"Yeah. And how in the hell after 80 years are there eight Super Soldiers runnin' loose?" Sam pointed out the next part of my train of thought. "Your girl's one, isn't she?"

"Ana?" I asked, just to clarify.

"Mm."

"She's not my girl." I told him.

"Then why is she here? She was never close enough with either of us to want to be here. So that means that something changed..." Sam pointed out, I shook my head.

"She's not my girl." I repeated the same point from before.

"But you want her to be."

"No, I don't." I lied.

"I saw your face when she was fighting those three Smashers at once. You want her to be your girl." Sam stated, I kept quiet. "Oh. So, I'm right. What is it? Why aren't you-"

"She doesn't..." I cut myself short, since when did any of this matter? It sure as hell didn't involve him. "You know what, it doesn't matter. She's not my girl, which I'm sure she would hate as a label anyway, and she's not a super soldier."

"She fought against three of them at once."

"She was trained like Natasha, she's a Widow. They learn to use their opponent's strengths against them, like how she never blocked someone without redirecting their momentum or weight." I pointed out.

"You sure she's not even half super soldier? She's strong as hell." Sam asked, I shook my head.

"Look, I don't know exactly what Hydra gave her, but I do know that she trains hard. Most of that strength is probably what she's worked for." I replied.