Chapter 1

***CONTINUES FROM CHICAGO MED 3x20 THE TIPPING POINT***

Connor walked to his car, never taking his eyes from Ava who was still standing there on the sidewalk outside the hospital. He threw his bag on the passenger seat and slid into the Porsche, still not breaking their gaze. He started the engine and drove off determined not to crack until Ava was completely out of sight. He turned a corner and sped along the highway, finally able to react to what had just happened.

Ava was still standing on the curb outside the ED entrance waiting for the valet to bring her car around. The cold air of Chicago was making the tears rolling down her cheeks feel even colder. She stood there pondering the conversation she had just had with Connor. Why was she so sad? She didn't even like him and this also meant that she got Dr. Latham and all the flashy surgeries to herself. So why was she so hurt?

The next day Ava was walking into the hospital exhausted as she hadn't slept. Dr. Latham greeted her as she arrived.

L: Good Morning Doctor Bekker, there's something I feel I should tell you. Last night after the conjoined twins surgery, Connor was offered an attending position at the Mayo Clinic and he has given me his notice. He will be working with us for another 3 weeks before he leaves. 

B: Yes, I know. He told me last night. Good for him.

L: Ok good I'm glad you are all caught up. Saves me from having to update you. I have to admit I am very proud of him. However, I am slightly sad that he will be leaving. Anyway, he will be in a bit later, he has a meeting with his new employers this morning. In the meantime, I have a quadruple bypass surgery scheduled for 8 am. Are you free to assist?

B: Of course Dr. Latham. 

L: Excellent. I'll meet you down there in an hour. 

Dr. Latham walked away, leaving Ava standing alone in the hospital hallway. I don't know what I was so sad about she thought as she walked to the doctor's lounge.