Chapter 30

Disclaimer: Language Warning (Again)

Ava jumped up into the back right behind the the other guy who suddenly turned around just as she got in. They were face to face and Ava instantly recognized his scent, before even seeing his face.

A: Connor!

C: Ava?

The ambulance suddenly took off at an ungodly speed and Ava was thrown against the ambulance door, then fell to the floor. She was still staring at Connor when he helped her back to her feet. She couldn't read his face. Was he still mad? happy to see her? or just plain baffled?They were silent for a long while until Connor had finally had enough. 

C: Ava what the hell are you doing here? Where is Sophia?

A: I COULD ASK YOU THE SAME FUCKING THING CONNOR. I HAVE BEEN WORRIED SICK!

As soon as Ava started yelling the paramedic instantly shot round to look at her. 

C: WHAT THE HELL AVA...?

A: YOU CAN'T JUST WALK OUT LIKE THAT AND THEN GO SILENT AND EXPECT ME TO BE OKAY WITH IT. DID YOU KNOW THEY SAID ON THE RADIO THAT A MALE SURGEON FROM OUR HOSPITAL DIED IN THE CRASH? I HAD JUST SEEN THE WRECKAGE AND THEN THAT CAME ON. I ALMOST HAD A BLOODY STROKE. 

C: I didn't know.

A: I SHOULD HOPE NOT. DID YOU NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT WHAT I WOULD BE FEELING? I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE MAD AND THAT'S FINE BUT WE ARE MEANT TO BE PARTNERS, A TEAM. 

C: and I apologize for that I do, but I saw the crash happen and all I could do in that moment was try and help. I am assuming that's what you did too. I must have left my phone at the scene. maybe they thought I had died because of that. 

A: Or maybe somebody did actually die?

C: I don't know but for right now we should focus on him. We can worry about that and everything else later. 

A: Okay but promise you won't just vanish again. 

C: I promise. 

They turned back around to Becky who was still stable but was visibly freaking out.  The paramedic was working on her arm trying to stabilize the break before it ruptured any arteries and made the bleeding worse than it already was. Ava crouched down beside her. 

A: Hey Becky, I know this hurts and you are probably terrified but we all are gonna make sure you are okay.

B: It's not me I am worried about. Its my brother and sister. They are so young. They must be so scared.

A: Yes, we all are scared and that's okay. We all have people who are going to be there for us in the end. They have you. And you have me and Connor here. 

B: Do you two work together? 

A: Yes we do. 

C: She's also the love of my life and mother of my child but by the way she just yelled at me I can see why you wouldn't pick up on that. 

Connor was giving Ava a sarcastic glare and Becky giggled a bit. 

B: You have a kid?

C: We certainly do, a baby girl named Sophia. I would show you a picture but I lost my phone.

B: Yeah I think people in China know that.

Ava was still silently staring at Connor crouched on the floor next to the gurney. The journey was bumpy and as the ambo went up a hill Ava slid across the floor and hit the back doors again. Connor shook his head and helped her up. She was still silent and a little embarrassed as her cheeks had flushed a dark shade of red.  

C: Jesus Avey, you need to pay more attention to whats going on.

As she got to her feet, their eyes locked and they continued to gaze at each other for a solid 20 seconds. Everybody in the ambulance was silent for a moment.

B: Uhhh hello.

C: Oh sorry. He walked back over to Becky and was checking her fractured leg. Can you feel your toes?

B: Mmm yep. 

C: Excellent. Strong pulse in the foot, good colour. 

The ambulance suddenly came to a hault and the sirens went quiet. The back doors flew open and April, Monique and Will were waiting. Ava jumped down first and helped take the gurney out. Will and April took over and Monique followed behind them as they ran inside the ED doors. Connor jumped down next to Ava who was till quiet and they watched Becky disappear. Connor turned to Ava, who's cheeks were still bright red. They stared at each other again before crashing into each other in a whirlwind of built-up tension and passion. Connor pushed Ava up against the side of the ambulance and kissed all up and down her neck. She wrapped her arms around his chest and put one hand gently on the back of his neck. He stopped for a minute and looked up at her face. His eyes locking onto her lips before he leaned in again and gently kissed them. After a moment he took his hand from her lower back and stepped back. She held tightly onto him as he moved away, almost afraid to let go. He placed one hand on her cheek and with the other he took a strand of her hair and tucked it behind her ear. "Ava its okay, I'm okay, WE are okay." She still didn't let go of him. He took hold of her right hand and then proceeded to walk towards the ED.

C: Come on baby. We have a patient. 

A: Okay. One second.  

She was still for a moment and then she suddenly stood up straight and her face went serious. She straightened out her stained clothes and brushed her hair back. 

A: Lets go.

C: There's my Avey.