Chapter 3

Two weeks later and not much had changed between Ava and Connor. They were professional and could work together but the personal relationship between them had withered to nothing. Connor had only 5 days left being employed at Gaffney Chicago Med and he was only working three of them. He was starting to worry that these were his last few chances to fix his relationship with Dr. Bekker. Every time he tried, she simply brushed him off and walked away. She didn't even yell at him. The Ava he knew was gone and this upset him.

On Friday, Connor's last shift had come around and he had decided that today was his last shot to try and talk to her. After he had finished rounding on his patients in the ICU for the day, he headed to the locker room, a place he knew she was likely to be hiding. Sure enough, there she was sitting on one of the wooden benches in the corner of the room. She looked up at him and then immediately back down to her phone once she realized who it was.  

C: Ava?...

She didn't respond. so he tried calling her name a little louder. 

C: AVA!

Ava gave him a brief glance and immediately went back to her phone, unable to leave as Connor was standing in front of the door. 

C: AVA FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL YOU PLEASE JUST SAY SOMETHING? I'm sorry okay. I betrayed you and got a job out of it and for that, I am truly sorry. But I really don't understand why you are so mad at me because I didn't think you liked me very much anyway.

C: I was going to try and be civil about this but I am not leaving here until you say something. What is it? Whats the issue? Why are you so angry?

C: AVA?!

C: Say Something.

Ava was getting more and more annoyed and finding it increasingly harder to ignore Connor's constant pestering.

C: Fine. If that's how you want to play it. I can stand here all night. 

C: I will. I'll stay here. Not gonna move. Not until...

A: OH SHUT UP WILL YOU?! I HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO SAY ANYTHING TO YOU! IT WILL ONLY MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, NOT ME. AND FOR GODS SAKE I'M NOT MAD ABOUT THE JOB OR THE FACT YOU SWOOPED IN ON THE CONJOINED TWINS SURGERY. I'M MAD BECAUSE WE MADE A GREAT TEAM. YOU, ME AND DR. LATHAM! YOU ARE MY ONLY FRIEND HERE IN CHICAGO AND I ACTUALLY ENJOYED WORKING WITH YOU. AND THEN YOU JUST UP AND LEAVE LIKE ITS NO BIG DEAL. IT'S UPSETTING CONNOR!

C: Oh. So you do like me then?

A: *sighs* Connor..... Just go.

Ava got up with her bag and shoved past Connor, walking out of the locker room and down the corridor, out through the glass doors of the hospital. Connor watched sadly as she disappeared from view, knowing that may have been the last time he'll ever see her.