Chapter 33

*** Later that day ***

Ava and Connor had hardly spoken a word to each other since the car. It was getting late and Connor was still outside on the phone, making some calls for his trust fund. Ava was sitting on the couch, next to the fire, holding Sophia. She had been asleep for hours but the cabin felt incredibly lonely after their fight and she couldn't bring herself to put her in the crib. Ava could see Connor pacing back and forth on the patio, but even just hearing his voice was comforting. She was playing out snippets of the fight in her head. Did he really say that this was a waste of time? Was there really nothing left of them? All she could think about was what she overheard him say to someone on the phone. "Oh yeah nah mate, don't worry about that, its nothing. I have all the time in the world. Nothing special going on here." The fire crackled and Ava snapped back to reality. There was one single tear running down her left cheek. She quickly wiped it away just before Connor came back in. He didn't even look at her, just headed upstairs into the bathroom and shut the door. Ava's eyes followed him the whole time, just hoping that he would turn and take a sneaky glance in her direction. But nothing. Maybe this was really nothing.

She heard the water start running upstairs and decided it was time to go to bed. She slowly got up and also headed upstairs. What was the etiquette for this situation? Did she get changed openly or did she need to go and change in private, would they still be sleeping in the same bed? Could she go brush her teeth while he was in the shower? She placed Sophia gently in her crib and then sat down on the edge of the bed facing the window, looking out over the lake. It was cold outside but the cabin was heated and a fire was also going in the bedroom. She so badly wanted to just curl up in bed and cuddle with Connor, but that wasn't going to be happening tonight. Maybe tomorrow they would sort all this out and then they could snuggle up on the couch then. A dark feeling settled in the pit of her stomach as that though crossed her mind. They still had 2 more days up here by the lake. So she figured that for tonight they should both just get a good nights rest. 

The shower had stopped now and there was movement in the bathroom. Ava couldn't seem to get herself up from the bed. She was stuck, frozen, almost as if her body had just given up. In the end she just flopped back onto the bed. After about another 5 minutes, Connor came out the bathroom fully dressed, still completely ignoring Ava, avoiding all eye contact and communication. He sprayed some deodorant on and then left the room. He came back a second later with a single glass of water. Every night, like clockwork he would always bring both himself and Ava a glass of water before bed, it was their thing. But tonight, there was only one. He placed the glass down on the nightstand beside him and then flopped down onto the bed and turned off his lamp. Ava was lying silently staring up at the ceiling unsure of what to do. Was he giving her the silent treatment? What was going on? Usually he would just yell and they would both get it all out but not this time. Ava rolled over to face him and he instantly rolled over and turned his back to her. Ava sighed and decided to be brave and try talk to him. 

A: Connor?

She whispered quietly. No response. 

A: Connor.

Still nothing. 

A: DR RHODES. 

He instantly flipped his lamp back on and stood up. He hastily grabbed a pillow and ripped the throw from the end of the bed, then marched downstairs and wrapped himself up on the couch. The downstairs light flipped off and Ava was lying in the dark in the bedroom. Alone. How did it come to this? At least she had the bed. Ava lay awake for hours. She could hear Connor snoring downstairs, clearly this wasn't bothering him too much she thought. After a while she finally drifted off to sleep. 

Connor was fast asleep downstairs and was awoken at around 3.26am by a blood-curdling scream coming from the master bedroom. He ran upstairs to see Ava thrashing around in bed, laying in pools of sweat. She was writhing around like someone had possessed her, screaming and groaning. Connor sat on the edge of the bed and gently placed his hands on her shoulders. She violently lunged towards him, waking just before crashing into his chest. Ava sobbed into his shirt for a minute before pushing him away. 

A: WHAT THE HELL CONNOR?

C: wait what?

A: What kind of game are you playing?

C: Are you kidding me? This isn't a game Ava that was terrifying to watch.

A: Oh believe me, I know... because guess what? I WAS THERE. IT HAPPENED TO ME. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW TERRIFYING IT IS. 

C: Look I was only trying to help you. I should have guessed that would be a giant mistake. 

A: Are you saying I was a mistake?

C: Yes you were! SCREWING YOU WASN'T BECAUSE I GOT MY DAUGHTER FROM IT BUT THAT'S ABOUT THE ONLY GOOD THING THAT HAS COME FROM THIS TRAIN WRECK. 

A: So this is it? Just like that?

C: Just like that? Ava, I have tried for weeks to try and get you to talk to me. But you won't. Which is okay. You don't have to talk to me, BUT somethings gotta change. I am okay being your punching bag but not if your not doing anything about the underlying reason. Whatever it may be. I am done. We can't go on like this. Well I can't. Can't just pretend our issues don't exist. 

A: Okay, fine.

C: Fine? This is exactly what I mean. Good riddance. You are one hell of a cold-hearted bitch. I was only trying to help YOU. I think we should go back to Chicago in the morning, because quite frankly I don't want to be with you any longer than I have to. 

A: Fine by me pal.