Chapter 22

*** Later that Day***

Clare was feeling better after her wild night at the baby shower and had decided to take a nap. Connor was about to start painting the nursery and Ava was sitting in the lounge by herself as Connor wouldn't let her do any heavy lifting.

A: Connor! I am not useless you know I can still do things. I am still working!

C: Yes I know, I am just being a tad over protective but I have every right to be so please just relax.

A: A tad? I am barely allowed to move without you hovering over me.

C: You are 7 months pregnant, please just listen to me.

A: You know I am incapable of relaxing! its just not in my nature.

C: Oh for gods sake. Fine come and help then. But you are not getting on the ladder.

A: That's a reasonable request I guess.

Connor was wearing a tatty old shirt and had already managed to get himself covered in pale pink paint.

A: Jesus Rhodes, how in the name of Lucifer are you already dirty? You have barely been in here two minutes.

C: I am a creative mess Bekker.

Ava laughed and picked up a paint roller. After about 30 minutes they had already finished the first coat of paint.

A: See look how quick and easy that was with me helping. You would still be working if I hadn't insisted on helping.

C: Yes but I wouldn't have this feeling of pure terror in the depths of my stomach. You worry me Ava.

A: I didn't realise you felt that strongly. I'm sorry.

C: Of course I do. Its the woman I love and my daughter. I will worry about you two till the day I die.

Ava looked guilty and stared down at her feet.

C: I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

A: No its okay, I forgot that this must be a lot for you too. I will go lay down.

C: I will join you. We have got to wait for this to dry now anyway.

A: In that case if you are taking a break can you please make me one of your omelettes. I am starving.

Connor laughed. Of course I can. Now go sit your ass down. They walked into the living area and Connor got to work in the kitchen. Ava was watching Jimmy Fallon when Connor brought her food over on a tray.

C: Oh I love Jimmy Fallon!

A: I know you told me. Ages ago. That first night we spent together.

C: You remembered that?

A: Of course.

Connor smiled and put his arm around Ava's shoulder as she ate. All of a sudden she gasped.

C: What!? whats wrong?

A: Oh my god.

C: WHAT?

A: Feel this!

She took Connor's hand and placed it on her belly. "Can you feel that? She's so strong!"

C: Wow I can, she is really using you as a punching bag. She's kicked before hasn't she?

A: Yeah but not like this. This is huge.

C: Its amazing.

They sat there for 10 minutes feeling the baby move around, as Ava finished her dinner. When she was done Connor got up to clean the dishes, he bent down and kissed her belly and then again on her forehead before heading to the kitchen. Ava turned around on the couch and watched him walk away.

A: Where are you going?

C: Just doing the dishes babe.

A: Can you come back over here when your done please?

C: Sure.... Why?

A: Just because.

C: Because?

A: Just do it please.

C: Alrighty.

5 minutes later Connor walked back over and sat down on the couch. Ava wrapped her hand around his neck and kissed him.

C: Whats happening right now?

A: Just go with it.

C: Roger that.

She kissed him again. A minute later Clare walked in. "Oh not again".

A: Look sis this is Connor's place If you don't wanna see it, stay in your room.

Clare: I was going to, but then I smelt omelettes.

C: So I guess that's my Queue?

A: No, Connor its alright you don't have to do that.

C: Ah its fine, I don't mind he said as he walked back into the kitchen.

A: Well I mind!

Clare: Thanks Rhodes, you're the bomb dot com.

Connor smiled warmly and began cooking again. Clare jumped onto the couch beside Ava. "Whats up sissy?" she said before grabbing the remote and changing the channel. Ava glared at Clare before getting up and going to the bedroom. Connor was still busy in the kitchen.

Clare: I think you are meant to follow her bud.

C: Huh?

Clare: She was clearly mad.

C: At you, not me. That's your responsibility.

Clare: Um nope, your her partner slash baby daddy slash boyfriend or whatever you two are. Its your job to make her feel better.

C: I'm making your omelette anyway.

Clare walked over and took over. "Go, I got this"

Connor gave her a sideways stare and then walked off to find Ava.