Chapter 10

A few days later after the dust had settled from the Laura surprise, Ava was starting to see things in a different light. If the situation had of been reversed would she have given up the Mayo Clinic for Connor? She was considering asking Connor out to dinner or a movie or something but couldn't quite make up her mind. It all just seemed to get so serious so suddenly.  They had gone from not talking to having a baby and dating in a very short period. Maybe if she saw Connor it would help to motivate her into asking. She went in search of Connor and started checking in on-call and locker rooms. She opened the door to the 4th-floor break room and accidentally interrupted Natalie and Will making out. 

A: Oh! God! Sorry!

She slammed the door shut quickly and stood there giggling to herself when Will opened the door behind her. 

A: Will I'm sorry don't stop doing... whatever that was because of me. 

W: Nah its okay. Having someone else accidentally walk in always manages to ruin the mood he laughed. 

A: Yeah you're right. I'm still sorry. 

W: I know Bekker its okay. I probably should be working anyways. Catch ya later.

What will said had given Ava an idea. If she asked Connor out on a double date with Nat and Will then that would make it a bit less serious. They could be their 'chaperone' of sorts. Ava went back into the break room where Natalie was still hiding. 

A: I'm so sorry Nat. I was just looking for Connor and found... you.

N: It's alright Ava. We shouldn't have been making out in here anyway. 

A: Haha all part of the thrill right? Anyway, I was wondering if I could ask you something?

N: Of course.

A: Well, me walking in on you two certainly unromanticised the mood right? 

N: Yeah...

A: Well I wanted to ask you and Will out on a double date tonight. With me and Connor. I am just not ready for it to be only the two of us just yet. Maybe if you guys come it will keep it a bit lighter. 

N: We would love too! It's been a long time since I went on a date! Work has been so busy!

A: Great I'll go ask Connor!

N: And I will ask Will!

A: Great. Text me.

N: Will do.

While she was still looking for Connor, Ava's phone buzzed. It was Nat. "Will is keen. Where and when should we meet?" Ava replied "8 pm outside the movie theatre on Broadway, Thank you for doing this." Eventually, Ava found Connor in the cath lab. She gowned and gloved herself and then walked in. He was alone so this was the perfect opportunity to ask. 

 C: Hey you.

A: Hiya. I want to ask you something.

C: Anything.

A: Will you go on a double date tonight with me and Will and Nat?

C: I'd love to. I have been wanting to for days now.

A: Great. 8 pm. Outside the theatre on Broadway.

C: Alrighty. See you then.

Ava left and continued with her work day. 8 hours later she finished her shift and went home to get ready. She was nervous. This would be the first official date she had gone on with Connor and didn't know what to expect. She arrived at the theatre 10 minutes early and Connor was already there in an expensive Italian looking suit. 

C: Hi.

A: Where are Will and Natalie?

C: Inside buying tickets. I wanted to wait out here for you. You ready?

Ava nodded and followed Connor into the theatre. The only movie showing that night was Out of Africa, a particular favorite of Ava's as it reminded her of home. Halfway through the movie, Ava looked over at Will and Nat, who had fallen asleep with her head resting on Will's shoulder. She suddenly had a strange feeling. She then turned to look at Connor who was completely focused on the movie. She turned her attention back to the screen. A short moment later she felt Connors hand slowly take hold of hers. She intertwined her fingers between his and then stared at their hands joined together resting on her lap, before looking back up at Connor. He didn't take his eyes off the screen but now had a cheeky grin spreading across his face. Ava couldn't help but smile.

After the movie was over they all headed out onto the street where Will and Natalie had parked. Connor was still holding Ava's hand and she had a sudden flush of happiness. Will and Nat decided it was time to head home and check on Owen. Ava and Connor were left standing on the quiet street. The wind was particularly cold that night. Connor was completely silent, just staring at her. When suddenly he said "You're Amazing" A warm feeling began to overtake Ava and all she could do was think about kissing him. She thought about it for a second, looked up at Connors handsome face and said...

A: Oh just kiss me stupid. 

Connor pulled Ava closer and put one hand around her waist and the other on her cheek. He kissed her gently at first and then more deeply after a moment. The warmth of his face against hers warmed her. Ava thought to herself. I can imagine kissing you for the rest of my life. Although, she would never tell him this.