Chapter 13

It was Sunday. Jungkook loved Sundays. He could sleep in and do whatever he wanted. He woke up and stretched. He was feeling good. He picked up his phone to check. Normally, he doesn't get any messages. Sometimes, Jimin or Taehyung would message asking him if he wants to hangout. Other times, his parents or his cousin, who lives in the same city, would have messaged to check up on him. Although, this time he saw a new name.

Chaeyoung

Good morning! :)

Be ready at 6 this evening. I'll come and pick you up.

Jungkook stared at her text with a smile. This girl. He got up and finished his daily routine. He was really looking forward to meeting her.

Meanwhile, Lisa was hogging Chaeyoung's closet. "Lisa! Just give me anything. We're just causally hanging out as friends." Chaeyoung said. "So what? You gotta look cute!" She said.

Chaeyoung sighed. She knew she can't win against Lisa. "Here. Wear this." Lisa said, handing out a black crop top and a pair of blue denim shorts. "You'll be comfortable." She added with a smile.

Chaeyoung took the clothes and hugged her. "Thanks Lisa!" Lisa laughed and said, "Aw. Anything for my Chaeng. Now, call me if this dude tries anything. I'll kick him." She said. Chaeyoung chuckled. "I'm sure that won't be needed."

Finally, the time came. Chaeyoung drove to his apartment building and called him downstairs. After a few seconds, Jungkook came outside. He was wearing a black hoodie and blue denims. He had a black bag slinging on his shoulder. He spotted her and rushed to get in the car. After taking a seat, he finally noticed her.

"Hehe. We're matching." Chaeyoung said with a giggle. Jungkook looked up and down her outfit and blushed slightly. "Oh. Haha. Do you want me to change or something?" He asked awkwardly. "Are you kidding? It's amazing! It's like we're soulmates or something!" Chaeyoung said excitedly. She had no idea what effect her words have on Jungkook.

She started driving. Jungkook still had no idea where they were going. So he asked her. But Chaeyoung just told him to wait and see. After driving for sometime, Chaeyoung stopped the car near Han River. Jungkook looked out the window to see the beautiful scenery. The late sunset had the sky blushing with scarlet and pink. The eastern side had already turned a shade of dark purple. He got out of the car and took a deep breath. He loved this place.

"I knew you'll like it." Chaeyoung said. Jungkook turned around to face her. "How did you know?" He asked. "Just had a feeling you would. I come here whenever life gets hard. I used to come here as a little kid with my mother. Maybe that's why I always feel peace whenever I come here." Chaeyoung said looking at the scene. Jungkook looked down. "I used to come here too when I was a kid." He said. Chaeyoung looked at him. "You did?"

"Yes. But I came alone. I used to come because I wanted to be alone." He added. Chaeyoung put her hand on his arms to give him some comfort which worked. He looked back up with a smile and told her to pose. "Pose?" Chaeyoung asked with a chuckle. "I brought my camera." Jungkook said excitedly as he pulled out his camera from the bag. Chaeyoung laughed and agreed to take a photo. She was amazed with his photography skills. "Wah! Jungkook-ah! You're so talented!" She said while admiring the pictures. Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment.

~•~•~•~

Both Jungkook and Chaeyoung had so much fun. They rented bikes and rode along the river and took several pictures. They went to the nearby store and got ice cream. Both of them enjoyed each other's company. Chaeyoung's bright and cheerful personality drew Jungkook closer to her. Jungkook felt even more comfortable around her and kept making jokes which made her laugh. After racing each other back to the riverside, they both sat down on the grass exhausted. They looked at each other and started laughing. "Why are we laughing?" Jungkook asked. "I don't know! But it's fun!" Chaeyoung said.

She laid down on the grass and watched the night sky. Jungkook did the same thing. Both of them were just lying down and admiring the sky full of stars. "It's so beautiful." Chaeyoung said. Jungkook looked at her face and replied, "Yes. It is beautiful."

"Being like this brings back so many memories. My mom and I would come here and watch the constellations. Whenever I come here, I get a feeling that she's with me." She said. "Where is she?" He asked. Chaeyoung looked at Jungkook and sighed. Then she pointed towards the sky, "She's the brightest star." She said as a single tear left her eye. Jungkook stared at her. He had no idea. He sat up and wiped the tear from the corner of her eyes. "I'm sorry Chaeyoung. I didn't know." She sat up and waved her arms. "Don't worry about it. It's alright." She said with a small smile. Jungkook kept staring at her with doubt. "It really is. I come here whenever I miss her. I feel good after coming here. Honest." She said. "Okay then." He said.

Both of them sat there in silence admiring the river beyond them. "I used to come here to be alone." He said. Chaeyoung looked at him. He was looking down at his legs. "I used to get teased and bullied in school. Ever since I was a child, others used to think I'm a freak. My mom said that they were just jealous of my abilities. But they told me otherwise. They made me feel horrible. So I used to run away whenever things got hard and come here. I used to sit here alone until all my fear and sadness vanished." As he finished his story, he felt arms around his body. He looked and see Chaeyoung hugging him. "I had no idea Jungkook!" She said. It seemed like she was crying. "Hey! Why are you crying? It's okay!" Jungkook said stroking her hair. "I don't know. It's just so sad!" She said.

Jungkook laughed a little and made her face him. "Am I crying?" He asked. She shook her head. "Then you don't cry too. Tears don't look good on you." He said while cupping her face. This made her smile.

That night, Jungkook and Chaeyoung got much closer to each other. Things that they felt uncomfortable discussing about, they voluntarily shared with each other. It could be said that they knew each other better and related with each other on a personal level.

It was getting late and they decided to return. Both of them didn't want to leave but they had to. It was a night that both of them cherished.