Chapter 19

You had fallen asleep. Not that you had meant to. The excitement from exploring the streets, eating until you swore that you could roll and eventually the thrill of sneaking back into the hospital before any of the doctors that were in charge of taking care of you saw you. At first it hadn't been anything but darkness. Your body drifting among the stars as you watched the lights fade in and out and eventually explode until there was the endless void. Colours danced in your mind and made its way around you until you felt the rise and fall of your breath. 

"Do you know what's happening?" 

"When will she wake?"

"Will she wake ever?"

"Of course. We just have to find out when."

"We have to ask her what happened." 

You're eyes opened. The voices oddly familiar, comfort washed over you. The lights glared at you, your knuckles white, you shirt sticking to your back, everyone was gathered around you. You felt hot. Sticky. Your mind everywhere but in reality. Was this just a dream? 

"I'm awake right?" You asked, your voice a croak, Lance choked as he embraced you. 

"Y/N you've been out for months!" He was crying into your shoulder.

"Huh? No I've been gone two days." You stroked Lance's hair absently, your eyes searching the others. "Right?" Sadness seemed to hide in their eyes. No it can't be real. Your parents... are they real? "What's happening?" You demanded after awhile of silence. Allura sat down. It was then that you realized that you were in your bed at the castle, you weren't in the sleeping chamber or healing pods. 

"We were hoping that you could tell us." Allura answered. 

"I was dreaming."

"About what?" Keith demanded, his eyes flaring. "You could have died! Look at yourself." You swallowed, choking on the possibility on what he meant. Lance pulled away wiping at his eyes. You looked down and saw yourself. You were a wreck. Malnourished. Weak. Thin. Grey. "Your brain almost stopped working. Nothing we did helped your coma state-"

"That's enough Keith." Shiro commented his own eyes flashing. Tension was evident between the two. How long had you been out? "Y/N we found you in your room. We thought that maybe you were asleep until you didn't wake up... Keith is right we almost lost you. You stayed alive but eventually all we could do is force feed you, and even then sometimes the brain automatically discharged it." Like in pooing it out? You wanted to ask the question so bad but you refrained yourself. You felt alive and well. Nothing to worry about. 

"I was dreaming. About my family." 

"For that long? I thought dreams were fast not you know, as slow as that." Hunk commented. Pidge was observing you. 

"I was dreaming... like this wasn't real."

"Meaning?" Pidge asked, you could see the glint in her eyes asking you for more information. 

"In.. my..... dream I was in a coma. I woke up. My parents... they-" your throat caught on tears and finally you felt the rough texture of your throat. "Water please." Shiro who seemed to have everything on hand, leaned down beside him and gave you a water bottle, it was cold to touch with the Black Paladin sign inscribed on it. You took a swallow. "They were alive. There was no garrison." Your eyes meet Shiro's. "You never left planet Earth, according to you-" you eyes meet Keith's. "-you studied astronomy Matt was your flatmate." Your eyes went to Hunk's. "You and Shay were serious, she had cats and that was cool."

"Shay was human?" Hunk asked. You nodded. 

"Yes. Unfortunately Pidge your father died and everyone knew you as Katie... you didn't even know me Lance." You caught eyes with Lance. "Everything was different. I was 22 years old-"