Chapter 3

"Katniss." Gale says, looking sad. Right now I'm thinking; "Oh no! It's bad news!!" But I don't say that. I just act as if I never saw his long face.

"Yes?" I look up to him and see the sadness expressed all over his face. 

"I'm really sorry." he whispers. I am very astonished! Gale hasn't done anything to hurt me. Even if he has, I haven't noticed or was too busy, or had other things to worrt and care about.

"What for?" I ask, resting my arm on his shoulder whilst pulling a worried look. 

"For Prim's death, and for not being there when you were sad that she died. I was never meant to let you and your family suffer like that. But I'll make it up to you." he explains. Gale really took me by surprise. I never thought he'd say that! That was probably one of the last things I thought he would apologise for.

I got slightly emotional about it, since he did bring back the thought and nightmares. Consequently, I shed a tear. But I stayed strong and managed to not cry or sob in front of him. That would make him feel even worst, which is the last thing I'd want to happen. Next thing I know, EVERYONE will be in tears.

"Aaw, that's alright. Don't worry! I'm fine. I wasn't mad at you anyway, besides, you were busy and in a lot of pressure. But I'm not so keen that it's your fault Prim got killed..." I paused before I could go any further.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry." he said apologetically. He really means it. It's almost as if he's crying!

"As I said, don't worry about it." I repeated. We walk onwards, and sit on the dull grass. It appears to be aqua green rather than bright or dull green.

"Let's think of the good times!" I say, lightening the mood. 

Gale smirks, "OK, Catnip!" 

"Hey! Not fair!! At least my name doesn't rhyme with fail." I joked while pushing him. 

"Okay, okay. Fair enough." he giggled. I laughed too. It's just like.the good old times, before Effie picked my sister's name out and before I took over as tribute.

"We should do this more often, shouldn't we?" I suggest. 

"Yeah." Gale says while staring into my eyes.