Chapter 40

I woke up feeling slightly heavy hearted, my eyelashes still damp from the night before.

I sat up slowly, eyeing the football kit at the edge of my bed. Suddenly realising that something was wrong, I stood up and squinted at the torn wrapper. Someone had opened the football kit, and I had a strong hunch on who it was.

-

'Why did you open my package?' I asked my aunt, as I stormed into the kitchen. I had a weird feeling that I didn't look like a convincingly angry person in my rainbow pyjamas. However I stood there with a frown on my face anyway.

'Oh good morning, darling.' She laughed, looking up from her coffee.

'Don't call me darling.' I snapped, still holding the torn package in my hand. I questioned whether it was even possible to hate someone this much in such a short time.

'Sorry, darling.' She said, ignoring my last sentence. 'I was just curious. Wanted to make sure you were asleep and all.'

'I don't need you to make sure I'm asleep.' I said, impatiently.

'Doesn't mean I won't do it.' She smiled, fiddling with the newspaper in front of her. 'This is my house, I do what I want.'

All I could do was stare at her in utter and pure disgust.

'I found a note amongst the football kit.' She said, standing up slowly. 'Obviously I won't give it to you, I don't approve on...young love.'

I watched as she came up to me, her face closer to mine than I would've been comfortable with.

'When did you get that kit?' She asked, squinting at me. 'I thought I made myself very clear. You can't go out at night.'

'I don't need to answer you. You're not my mum.' I snapped back, leaning in closer.

Looking slightly taken aback she stepped back, and started at me. A small smile tugged at her lips as she lifted her arm.

'No one speaks to me like that.' She shouted. I watched as she swung her hand at me, a sudden surge of pain rushing up my left arm. I watched at the red mark slowly appearing at the point of contact.

'You didn't.' I said, hot tears threatening to surface.

She laughed and walked out of the room.

'My house, I do what I want, darling.'

I stared at her disappearing back.

'Don't call me darling.' I muttered under my breath, my arm aching slightly.

-

'I look so ridiculous.' I said to myself as I stared into my mirror, the huge football kit hanging onto me loosely.

I couldn't help wondering what the note Luke had left me said. But whatever it was, I was just glad that I didn't have to explain myself to my aunt. Not just yet anyways.

I pulled my hair high into a ponytail and gathered everything I needed for the morning.

Peering around my door, I looked around, hoping not to bump into my aunt again. A small knife twisted in my stomach as I comprehended the mornings events. Not ever did anyone ever hit me in my entire life.

Dashing to the front door, I twisted the knob slowly, opening it as quietly as possible.

'Reb.' I heard, as I winced slightly. I turned around to face my aunt coming down the stairs.

'Take the key, I'm going to be out all day.'

I started at her, relieved and startled, moving as little as possible to grab the house key, as if moving too much would change her mind about letting me go out. On the other hand, I realised that I was never really told that I wasn't allowed to go out during the day, that would have just be plain torture.