Chapter 42

I know you may be hurting now,

But darling it will get better.

The frown on your face will turn into a smile, one day.

Your tears of sadness,

Will turn into tears of happiness, some day.

You may feel like your life is falling apart,

But honey it's only the beginning.

All you need is a brand new start.

[K.B.]

-

'Luke?' I whispered into his blond hair, as he continued to sob into my chest. 'You ok?'

'No.' He answered, sniffing and wiping his eyes with the back of sleeves. Grass was poking at the backs of my thighs but I didn't care. My heart ached because I couldn't even imagine the pain Luke had been going through. The pain increased when I realised if his attempts had been successful, I would have to be living without Luke in my life.

I winced with just the thought.

'I can't imagine my life without you.' I told him, as he played with my fingers once again. I could feel a lump in my throat and I couldn't swallow properly.

'I can't imagine my life without you either.' He said, his voice raspy with the crying.

I reached over to wipe his eyes with my fingers. He looked even worse than when he had first come here tonight.

'I'm not letting you of home.' I whispered, running my hand up his leg. 'Especially not tonight.'

'But Emma-'

'I don't care Luke.' I cut him off. Sometimes, life offered situations that needed a little bit more attention than stupid rules.

I knew that Luke's mind was a bit fragile tonight. And sometimes people who've already thought of suicide before tend to make stupid decisions when they're feeling particularly down, without actually thinking about it. I was afraid that tonight was one of those nights, and I couldn't let Luke out of my sight.

'What so we're going to sleep on the grass?' He asked, gesturing his hands to our surrounding. He smiled a little, making my stomach flutter, however the pain in my heart remained.

'Is that a problem, Hemmings?' I asked, going along with his playful tone.

'Nah.' He scoffed, lying down on the grass. In silence, I cuddled up next to him, as he began to stroke my hair softly.

'How many times have we looked up at the stars together?' I asked, tilting my head upwards to look at his beautiful face. He squinted one eye, thinking.

'Many.' He laughed, running his cold fingers up and down my arm. I tried not to wince as he touched a few delicate bruises.

'Why?' I asked, sounding something like an annoying kid.

He smiled, crinkling his eyes up.

'Look at them.' He instructed me. I lifted my head up as he pointed an finger towards the black sky. 'They're the same stars as last week. As last year. The exact same ones we saw as kids. When we weren't even born. In a hundred years, no one will know who we are. But they'll know the same stars.' He breathed out, mesmerising me with his soft words.

'Woah.' I whispered, the new realisation hitting me. 'You didn't answer my question though.'

'Right.' He whispered. 'When I was a kid, and my dad was still around, he used to sit with me on our porch and look out into the dark blanket on the night. He told me: one day, you'll find the perfect girl and you can match each star with a reason why you love her. And that's what I do every time.'