Chapter 46

'Luke!' I hissed, feeling a lump form in my throat. I swallowed hard.

'No fucking way.' He whispered, his eyes widening with fear.

We were both frozen in our places, the water of the bath, now freezing cold, rubbing against our skin.

I could see Luke's body covered in goosebumps.

'Reb?!' Emma's shrill voice rang through the house.

I searched Luke's eyes, trying to read what I should do from them.

We both turned our heads towards the door as Emma's heavy footsteps clanked towards us.

I stood up, way too quickly, as my vision was occluded with blackness, but it passed soon enough for me to grab a towel and wrap it around me.

Luke's cheeks were flushing red as I pulled him out of the bath and handed him a towel. Since he was still kind of frozen with shock, I steered him to the toilet and sat him down on it.

'Rebecca?!' Emma said again, coming closer and closer.

'Hey.' I burst out, swinging my head around the door of the bathroom.

'Ooh dear!' She exclaimed, not expecting me to pop out like that.

'Hi. Hey. Yes um if you'd just give me a second...'

'What are you doing? Having a...bath?' She asked, her eyebrows rising with suspicion.

'Yes. I am. Having a bath. By myself.' I stammered, putting on the best smile I could. 'So if you'll excuse me...'

'Wait. What bubble bath soap did you use? We don't have any...' She pushed the door open, but I firmly held it in place.

'No um I found some and I just really want to finish off so if you'll just let me...'

'Well ok then.' She said, starting to walk away.

My heart relaxed slightly, until she returned, swinging her head around sharply.

'And what is...that?' She asked, pointing at a lump of black clothing on the floor.

Luke's boxers.

Oh shit.

'They're...mine.' I heard myself say, not flinching under Emma's gaze.

'Yours?'

'Yes. Um. Loads of girls are wearing boxers nowadays. They're very...breezy.'

'Breezy?'

'That's what I said, yes.'

'Ok. Put them on then.'

'No um I need to finish my ba-'

'I said put them on!'

'Ok um.'

I struggled to put a foot into the first hole, trying not to drop my towel whilst doing that.

I pulled the black massive boxers up and by sliding my right hand behind my back and grabbing more than half the material to make it look tighter, I tried to fool her.

I did not look convincing at all.

'Hmm.' She said, trying to push the bathroom door open again. I didn't let her.

'Can I continue now?' I asked, trying not to look into her evil, cold eyes.

'Yeah, sure. Go ahead.'

'Thanks.' I whispered, closing the door.

I turned to face Luke who was hunched up on the floor trying not to laugh.