Chapter 43

'Rebby.' Luke said, pulling me beside him as we walked towards the road. 'What will happen to you if Emma...finds out?' He asked, his brows furrowing with worry.

I couldn't care less about her at that point to be honest. Fine, she had the power and the strength to leave those harsh bruises up and down my arms but at the end of the day, I didn't have to do as she told me to.

'I don't know.' I shrugged, pulling his arm so that we could keep walking. 'I don't care, actually.'

His eyebrows shot up at me.

'Oh, Ms. Rebel, giving the I don't care attitude now are we?' He asked, his eyes crinkling with the smile.

Going along with his light and fun attitude I clamped my teeth shut, the noise of my upper and lower set of teeth colliding ringing out into the darkness.

'You scared?' I hissed, raising an eyebrow.

He pretended to shiver with goosebumps.

'So scared.' He smiled, giving me his cheek so that I could leave a small kiss there.

Suddenly conscious of the situation, I realized in what a short time we had actually changed attitudes. It was surprising how Luke could change so quickly, from sad and depressed to fun and romantic.

Once we were on the road, I became curious to know what we were going to do. As the stars started disappearing and the sky got brighter, I noticed that my tummy had started rumbling. And so did Luke.

'Awh you hungry babe?' He asked, swinging our joined hands back and forth. He was in a strangely good mood, compared to how he'd been acting a few hours ago.

I put a hand onto my stomach.

'Yeah.' I admitted, enthusiastically swinging our arms too.

Suddenly, Luke swerved round to come face to face with me, and put his large hand on my cheek, caressing me slowly. Surprised, I bit my lip.

'But what if.' He asked, running his finger down my neck and across my collarbones. 'There's an alien in your stomach growling and making those noises, making you think you're hungry?' He said, his voice scruffy and thick.

I was aroused.

'Does that make me pregnant?' I laughed, as he pulled me onto his shoulders, his deep and scruffy character flying out the window.

'Hmmm.' He thought, walking with long strides because of his incredibly long legs. 'If it does then it's definitely not my sperm, I can tell you that.' I felt his shoulders shake with laughter beneath my thighs.

Although it was hard to forget the dark, sad Luke I had seen last night, somehow I truly believed that everything was going to be ok. And even though I knew that Luke wasn't going to change and get better in a few days, seeing him happy made me want him to have a happy life permanently. Not only when he was with me.

'Luke.' I crouched down to wrap my hands around his neck and rested my cheek on his soft head of blond hair. 'Everything's going to be ok.' I whispered, not wanting to kill the happy mood, but wanting him to know anyway.

His fast paced steps faltered slightly as he reacted to what I had said. 'I know.' He said confidently, quickly shaking off the sad mood.

I smiled at his determined voice and put my hands into the air.

'I'm king of the world!' I shouted, making Luke look up at me.

He closed his eyes and giggled at me.

'What?' I asked, pouting.

'Are you a boy?'

'No.'