Magician

"Is that a magic act?" I asked as we were walking to his place. We both stopped to check it out a little.

Pigeons placed in a 'ordinary' box, then an old homeless man in a box teleporting into the other box, except, the magician was too early and 'Michael' couldn't make it to the other box so he came out from the red center table. "There's a dove in his hat." Kusuo said and I glanced at him.

"Really?" I asked.

"You're both still here?" the 'magician' asked us after taking with Michael, or Mr. Ike.

We both motioned to the top of out heads. "Huh?" the magician reach towards his hat. "A tip? That's all right. I wouldn't take money from kids like.... PICO!" He yelled out. "I completely forgot about him." the magician said petting his bird.

"How can you forget you have a pigeon on your head?" I asked, mentally sighing.

"How did you know he was in there anyway?" the magician asked us. "Could it be... You two must be aspiring illusionists! That's how you knew." he smiled at us.

"Oh, um no I'm not. I only knew because he told me." I pointed to Saiki. "Sorry." I thought.

"Maybe I'm not the right person for the job." he says, sitting down. "I was an ordinary salaryman just a few months ago, but I got laid off...My wife left me not long after that." he continued.

"We missed our chance to leave." Saiki thought.

"Well, I actually want to hear this." I thought looking at him.

"I couldn't pay rent, so I got kicked out. My career, my wife, and my house were all gone because of one mistake. That's when I decided to become an illusionist!" he told us  happily.

"What a bad idea." Saiki thought.

"I wonder what his one mistake was." I thought.

"If everything around me can disappear like that, I must have a talent for making things disappear." He said.

"A heck of a misinterpretation" Saiki thought.

"So, I leaped into my newly chosen career, and made my debut as a street illusionist. If I can make 1.2 million yen, and buy the equipment for sawing a woman in half, surely my wife would come back!" he exclaimed.

"Not sure that's how it works." I thought, feeling bad for the guy.

"Perhaps I chose the wrong path." he said sadly.

"He should give up being an illusionist and get a real job. But how do I make him give it up?" Saiki asked me.

"I'm getting too gloomy." he suddenly said, looking apologetically to us.

"No, it's okay." I smiled at him.

"You're an aspiring illusionist, right?" He asked Saiki. "Show me a trick." he requested.

"I've got it." Saiki said and held out his bag.

"Are you going to pull something out of your bag?" he asked.

"I'll show him an incredible illusion, then he'll realize that he's incompetent and give up." Saki thought.

"I don't think it's going to work out that way." I added watching him do his "trick."

"What will it be? A dove? I can pull out a bowling ball you know." the magician said, in anticipation.

Saiki pulled Mr. Ike out of his bag. "I think that's a bit much." I whispered to him.

"Now, he'll want to give up." Saiki said.

"Thank you, you've opened my eyes. Your power is a long lock of hair. Mine is nothing but an eyelash. I recognize the difference." he said.

"At least we're done-" Saiki turned around.

"Teach me, Master!" The guy was now on his hands and knees.

".. I told you so.." I thought as we both looked down at the grown man kneeling before us. 
We somehow managed to make our escape before something else happened. 

~the next day~

I looked at my outfit in the mirror of my bigger than necessary closet, "I think this is fine..." I was wearing (fav clothes). I fixed my hair and left my room, making me way downstairs. I left after saying bye to my parents, telling them I'd be home late.

Our butler drive me to Saiki's house. I waved bye to him and Saki opened the door for me. "Why, thank you." I smiled and walked in.

"Do you care what we watch?" he asked as we went up the stairs. 

"Not really, it's your tv." I answered as we entered his room. I sat on the ground and grabbed a pillow from his bed and hugged it to my chest as he sat next to me, flipping through channels.

"A mystery channel will air on this channel later." he thought.

"Tonight you will witness Miracles! These miracles are brought to you by a remarkable young illusionist who was once homeless, Uryoko Chono!" the tv said.

"Wow, did he get better?" I asked eating some chips.

"When did you get those? Wait, that doesn't matter." he said and turned back to the tv.

"Today, I'll perform a miraculous escape!" he said and pictures appeared on the screen, showing us the stunt or illusion he was about to perform.

"This is a live show right..?" I asked as he said 'wait' before the door closed on him, and he began pounding on the door.

"Will he really be okay?" Saiki asked.

"Less than 3 minutes left."

"I don't know him well enough to risk myself to save him." Saiki said.

"2 minutes left!"

"Wait, what would happen if he fails?" I asked, drinking my soda.

"That's unacceptable." Saiki stood up and I looked up at him. "I want to watch the mystery drama that'll air after this. I can teleport there but I must not be seen on tv. There's only one place where I won't be seen." he deduced.

"Kusuo, wa-! And he's gone." I sighed. "Might as well see how this goes." I mumbled and ate my freshly popped popcorn.

I watched as Mr. Ike plunged in about 18 swords to the box, then they dropped the box from 30 meters high, then it was lit on fire, then rolled flat by a steam roller.

"Wonder how is Kusuo doing.." I thought drinking my soda.

Kusuo finally teleported back and I was surprised seeing him covered in dirt. "Wha- How did you get so dirty?!" I stood up and walked over to him brushing the dirt off his clothes. I glanced at his face and he looked sad, "What happened?" I asked and got a damp towel to wipe his face.

"I found out the ending of my mystery drama." he spoke softly.

"Oh, that guy from earlier?" I asked and he nodded.

I smiled and pulled him in for a hug. "My poor psychic. You can watch and see how they got to that ending." I said petting his head.

"I guess." he sighed and we sat down to watch his spoiled mystery drama.

~~~~~

{Edited 7/21}