N e o n

Jughead's POV

Picture this;

You're trapped in the Institute of Behavioural Studies for 8 long, dark months.

One of your closest friends gets brutally beaten as you watch, unable to help.

You're separated from a loved one, convinced you may never see them again.

You're beaten, and tested, and told that you're sick. And you start to believe it.

You eat, sleep and sit everyday. At the same time each day. With the same people.

You start to stop talking. You don't really have proper conversations anymore.

You see your friends again, and all is well for one short shining moment.

A pounding knock on the door is all it takes to have you jumping out a window, only hoping that you don't die.

You find a chance to escape, and you take it.

Then, you find yourself running as fast as you possibly can. All you can hear is your rapid breath, and you booming heart rate. You don't know where you are going but you're finding that it gets darker and darker as you sprint into the forest. The footsteps behind you begin to get softer as you manoeuvre around trees and fallen logs. You fall down hills, crush leaves on the ground even though you're trying to be as quiet as possible. It's darker now. And as you slow down, completely out of breath, you realise that it's cold and scary.

We all come to a stop. It's silent. No chirping birds, no thudding of footsteps, not even rapid breathing.

Everyone holds their breath.

Until, Kevin Keller, says something.
"We...we made it" he uttered in slight disbelief, evoking a small laugh from Archie Andrews.
"Yeah, we did. When exactly did we loose them?" He asked, running his hand through this hair. He's the only one out of all of us who isn't out of breath, I forgot he was an athlete.

"Some time when it was a lot lighter" August, who was becoming more of a friend than a mentor, answered.

"Wait where's Toni?" Cheryl asked with panic in her voice, I look around. I hadn't noticed the absence of the sassy serpent. As I look around, my eyes fall upon Archie's, who looks even more afraid than when he was in the Reasoning Wing, about to get beaten for the first time.

"Where's Veronica?" He gulped, he didn't say it very loudly. "Oh my god they got her Jug! They got her! We have to go back!" He suddenly started panicking, setting Cheryl off too.
"And they have Toni! They have Toni! We're
going back, c'mon Archie we're going back to the institute!" She grabbed Archie's hand, tears in her eyes, and began pulling him in the direction we came from. I stopped them.

"Guys, calm down-"
"Calm down! I spent 8 months away from her I'm not going to waste another minute just sitting here when she could be with those monsters!" Archie argued with distress.

Something inside me told me to let him go. If it were Betty I would probably run the whole way back. I spent 8 months away from her, I know how Archie feels. I know the desperation he must have to just hold Veronica. But I can't let him go back.

"Archie, Cheryl listen to me!" I demand, a bit too fiercely, they both become small and shy. "Listen" I say a little softer "I'm sure they weren't caught. They might've just fallen over, fell into a small ditch or something. We'll retrace our steps but we can't go all the way back to the institute. They'll kill us all" I try to explain as nicely as I could.

Archie gave a small nod. Cheryl looked me dead in the eye.
"Toni!" She yelled as loud as she could. "Toni where are you!?" She repeated at the same volume as she brushed past me.
"Veronica!" I heard Betty yell, with fear in her voice. That set me off too.
"Toni! Veronica!"