8

After our argument, Tora and I didn't talk for a week. When I passed him in the hall, I ignored him. He seemed to want to talk to me, but in the end, he ignored me too. Mayumi, as always, supported me. Misaki was really mad too, she agreed with me. But whatever. Fine, Tora is the rightful President. He does have the right to make decisions. I just wish he'd consider others once in a while.

I check my timetable. Good, today my class has an early recess. I can avoid Tora again. He's in class 3-1, so they have a later recess. 

Well. Here I am, five minutes into recess, face to face with the President himself. I step to the left and try to walk past him to the cafeteria block. 

He folds his arms and smirks. "Come into my room."

He pauses, then adds "It's your duty to obey me."

I have no choice but to follow the stupid jerk into his private lounge. It's quiet inside, with soft piano music playing. I follow him to his desk, where he picks up a silver box. 

And then he says something I never thought he'd say. "Here, (Y/N). I got you a bracelet."

I'm so shocked, I forget that we aren't speaking. "Me?"

He smiles sincerely at me. "For you."

I lift up the box cover. Inside is a glittering silver bracelet with my name on it. Swirls of silver and blue and transparent beads surround my name. It's beautiful. I shake my head. "I can't accept this. Thanks, but no."

He sighs. "It has your name on it. How can I give it to someone else?"

I ask "Why are you being so nice?"

He smirks and shoves a hand in his pocket. "Let's see- why?"

"Just answer me! You know what, forget it. I'm leavi-"

He grabs my arm. "Fine," he says softly, looking at my eyes. "I like you."

AHHHHHHH WHAT DO I SAY TO HIS CONFESSION??? 

I go for the play dumb option. "Me? What do you mean?"

He turns away so I can't see his face. "Will you stop acting dumb!"

I keep quiet. The piano music plays softly in the background. Tora stares out, at his window. I stare at the floor. Finally, he says "Just take the bracelet. It suits you."

Watching his back, he suddenly looks very lonely. I wonder how many times he has looked out of the window at the laughing and chattering people, and been in a cold room, alone. So I take a step forward and hug him from behind.  My arms have barely wrapped around him when he turns and pulls me into a hug. 

----

Lately, Tora's asked for my opinion a lot. I don't know why, but he's being a lot nicer to me now. Although some days he bosses me around, claiming it's part of my duty. 

Today is one of those do-everything-I-say-unless-you-want-to-die days. I've been in his room the minute school ended. It's around 5 now, and Tora's still working. So am I, I'm arranging some papers.

Tora has his earphones in and he's making a list of people for detention. Not many- we don't break rules much. 

I glance at him and check my phone again. Oh crap! It's already 6.30! I always estimate time wrongly. 

I walk over to his desk and pass him the folder I was arranging. "The papers are here."

He nods. 

I add "I have to go."

That gets more of a reaction, surprisingly. Tora takes off his earphones and says "I'll send you."

I shake my head and smile at him. "I'm alright, really."

Tora frowns. "I'm worried."

"Since when?"

He looks slightly taken aback. Then his eyes flick over to my wrist, where the bracelet dangles. (Small jewellery is allowed for the Miyabigaoka students)

"Do you like it?" he asks.

I nod. "It's charming." 

He laughs and I notice he looks less stressed. "Okay, see you."