19

I sit down at my desk in the apartment one Saturday morning. It's 5am, and the sky's still dark. I woke up early precisely for this reason. I need to think. 

I grab a pen and a post-it note, then write down what I have to do. I'm planning to resign from the Student Council. I've to go for voice therapy lessons. That will cost money, so I should get a job too. 

My phone vibrates and I check the messages. It's from my parents. I sigh and check it. 

We've managed to get some money. We're still fighting for a lawsuit against our rival wine company. They sabotaged our wine, but we need to find evidence to sue them. For now, we're transferring ¥3000, about US $265, to your shared bank account. Use it wisely. We're sorry we can't send more. 

Always apologising for not being there with us. Never meaning it. 

I start looking for jobs online. I just need money, fast. So Haruto and I can have enough to live on. For now, we're relying on the cash in our bank account, which has accumulated over the years. But it may run out soon.

7am. I lie back down on my bed and stare at the ceiling, which has those glowing fluorescent stars and moons glued onto it. I still can't believe I've lost my voice. 

8am. I wear my uniform and leave for school. Haruto is leaving for work too. I leave first and soon, I reach the school. I bump into Chibi there. He grins. "Hey."

I nod back at him, then sign that I'm going to resign from the role of Vice-President. 

"What?" he says. Then he frowns and adjusts his hearing aid. "You can't!"

I shrug. The commitment is too much for me. Chibi continues walking with me as I go to the Elite Block to tell Tora about my resignation. 

Chibi taps my arm softly and as I look at him, he signs: Do you want to have recess together?

I nod at him. Mayumi isn't here anyway, plus at least Chibi understands me. He doesn't make me talk or anything. 

Just then, though, the school bell rings and I decide that I'll do the resignation stuff later. I go to Sensei Ayuzawa's class first. She glares at me for coming in like, a minute late, but doesn't say anything. All the teachers have been informed that I lost my voice. 

----

I sit on a stone bench with Chibi. A tree hangs over us and the sun is shining. We stay under the shade of the tree and sign to each other. It's how we talk.

We stop for a while, because there's nothing much to say. I look up at the clouds and notice that one of them really looks like an elephant. I point it out to Chibi. He looks confused, then asks with his hands "Is that a crocodile?"

It's an elephant, I thought. I sign back. 

No, definitely not... he grins at me. I really think it looks like a crocodile. That tail over there?

I shrug. Depends which way you look at it. 

He pauses for a while, then signs, do you look at clouds a lot?

I nod. Nature in general. Stars, clouds, rain droplets. Chibi smiles at me, then reaches down and tugs on my hand gently. You're like a little sister, he signs.

I take his hand and lean my head on his shoulder. Chibi's just like another older brother, too. I close my eyes for a while. He's calming. I feel like my voice will recover, my parents will get their business back. 

Chibi nudges me with his hand, and I open my eyes. I sit up straight again and sign thank you. 

He looks at me in concern. The way Tora used to. Before his parents split us. 

Someone rushes up to us. I break the stare at grip Chibi's hand tighter when I see who it is. A golden haired guy is rushing towards us, anger on his face. Some girls behind him hang back, giggling nervously. Chibi pats my hair. "I've got you, sis."

I sense calm in his words, and allow myself to relax. Okay. I meet Tora's glare with my own. Why should I be scared of him?

"Why are you here?" he asks angrily, looking at us. 

I have no idea who he's talking to. I stay quiet. Chibi sighs. "You go first, (Y/N)."

I stand up and leave. Tora doesn't stop me. Instead, his gaze is fixed on Chibi. When I look back, I see them in what looks like an intense discussion.