18

Narrator:

The door opened again, an hour after (Y/N) had left with her brother. Tora Igarashi stepped in softly and went straight to the now empty bed. A voice on his left said calmly, "She's gone."

Tora turned and locked his eyes with a white haired boy, his leg wrapped up in a cast. The boy returned his gaze coolly. Tora asked slowly, "Where did she go?"

The boy laughed. "Louder please."

Tora felt furious and the anger he'd felt towards his parents for a long time threatened to come out. He controlled himself, and said in a louder voice "Where did she go?"

The boy tugged on something on his left ear. Tora realised it was a hearing aid. He relaxed and sighed. Of course. The boy hadn't been making fun of him after all. 

The boy replied "She went home, discharged. Last I saw her, she was crying."

Tora felt like a knife had just pierced him. Cold dread enveloped him. He listened carefully as the boy continued "Anyway, her brother took her. She's safe, I'm sure."

Tora clenched his fist and checked the time on his phone. 10.41pm. He had to go, so his parents wouldn't suspect he'd come here. He said goodbye to the boy and left in a rush. 

----

Normal POV:

I stare at my Miyabigaoka uniform blankly, not wanting to go. I just want to skip school. 

Of course, Haruto won't let me. Always the good older brother, huh? I have to put it on and pack my bag. As I'm packing, I feel like I forgot something, but what? Deciding that I'm just being paranoid, I lift my bag onto my shoulders and start walking to school. 

As I pass the neighbourhood park with its old swings and slides, I remember what I forgot. My stupid pencil case. Am I dumb or am I dumb?

I curse myself silently in my head, which I do alot. Then I hear someone next to me, walking. 

It's the Chibi guy. I smile and sign hello.

He signs back, and we walk quietly. For one, I can't speak. And he can't hear, right?

He signs suddenly: I got a hearing aid. I can hear now.

That's great, I sign back.

He grins slightly childishly. I'm still amazed, when he smiles, his whole face lights up and he is truly very cute. His white hair is casually ruffled and messy and he has these cool eyes, they're deep black. When I stare into them, I could almmost get lost. 

Chibi, as I will call him, continues to walk with me. We separate when we reach the school gates. I notice Mayumi isn't in our usual spot. She's absent. Then I remember that she said she's flying off to Australia for another holiday, so she can skip school. Lucky kid.

I see him instantly. Golden hair, tall, he stands out in the crowd. He's surrounded by a crowd of girls again. I accidentally drop my books and bend down to pick them up, preparing to go to class and act as invisible as always.

Before I can, though, he's there. Picking up my books. The girls around him just now look dazed, like they don't know where he went. I take my books from him and turn away. I see hurt flash on his face before his face changes. Just before I enter the elite building, I hear him say in a honey-sweet voice- "Sweetheart, what's your class again? Wanna go together?"

Whatever. He can have his fancy girls, I don't care. I've bigger problems. My voice gone, my family bankrupt. I have to get a job soon to help out. No more rich girl lifestyle for me, anyway.