30

After the very satisfying lunch, we go for the tour. We are literally spending the whole day here and it's actually really interesting. Backstage is even cooler. All the lighting is controlled by a panel of buttons and knobs, which looks really difficult to control. It's peaceful and quiet backstage, too. Although I'm afraid I'll knock something over. 

There are also racks and racks of shining costumes for the actors and actresses, and a whole room full of props. I'm amazed by the sheer number of props they have.

Our guide, a friendly middle aged woman, tells us stories about some of the performers here and makes us laugh a lot. I sure enjoyed the tour. 

----

I gulp as I'm harnessed to some safety equipment. the climb up looks so steep and scary. What if I fall? There's a long drop below. 

We're all linked, I try to reassure myself. If I fall, everyone falls. I'm standing at the back, second last. Tora offered to be last, since he knew I was too scared to be last. 

Slowly, we climb up the metal steps. I don't look down, so that I won't get scared.

"Wow," I whisper to myself as I lean against the railing. 

It isn't night just yet, but we rushed over to the Sydney Harbour Bridge first. And now we're here. The view is so nice. I can see the city's skyline, clearly defined against the blueish sky. And I spot the Opera House, of course. 

Tora leans on the railing next to me, so close I can feel his body's warmth. He casually puts his arm around me and pulls me closer to him. 

I lean my head against his shoulder and watch the city for a while. Standing here, Japan feels surreal, like I've never been there. I feel like I've been here all my life. 

Which is weird, I guess. 

Soon, though, the city lights come on. The sky dims in colour until it changes to dark black completely. It's beautiful.

The person leading us smiles and claps her hands. "You guys did a great job! Just stay here and enjoy the view."

It takes a while for me to process the words, because of the slight accent and because my English isn't that great. 

Tora murmurs in my ear "I love this view."

I nod in agreement. "Same."

Next to us, Mayumi is holding hands with Maki, talking. I don't know what they're always talking about, but they seem happy.

Tora looks at me straight in the eyes and moves closer like he wants to kiss me. I look around, suddenly embarrassed. "Later okay?"I ask him.

Surprisingly, he sighs and agrees. But he reaches down and takes my hand. "I'll just enjoy you and the view at the same time."

I don't know what to say to that, so I just keep quiet. I think about my lost voice, how I'll never be able to sing again. But while I'm looking at this view, I suddenly find courage. It doesn't matter if I can't sing again. I'll just make the best of what I have, and make myself happy. 

I walk away from the bridge feeling more relaxed.