Forty-Two

Her mind was a mess, all her thoughts were tangled and casually her body would droop and lean all over the place. Nothing made sense but the woman understood she felt fear, she shook from it.

Sweat trickled from her body in giant beads as she sat in the quiet, both her feet and hands were tied up. Joslyn sat in a massive room with her aches and webbed thoughts. Was Amberle alright? Was she alive? Was she safe? Was Luther safe? Her sons? Grace? The woman couldn't stop thinking about the people every few minutes when things made sense to her.

It all happened so fast. The men came into her home minutes before Amberle was told to meet her ex-boss, they placed guns to both her and Luther's head but she was the one they wanted. They knocked her husband out and did the same with her, now she sat in that empty room.

Groaning, the woman was so worried, if only she could've she would already be there at Amberle's side. Her safety and well-being were more important than her own life at this point and because she had no clue what was happening to the girl the woman experienced a sense of loss. She felt shattered and hopeless knowing she'd learn something bad happened to the girl. The fear of not knowing if she was alive or dead ate Joslyn away at the core and she cried until she couldn't anymore.

Why didn't she stop when she had the chance? Why didn't she ignore the girl when she had the chance? Why did she have to feel deeply for her? Why did she have to love Amberle? Why did she have to do that? Why?

Everyone knew unmanaged and unsolicited feelings made you oblivious to everything, it blinded your eyes from danger and other problematic things until the only thing you saw was the beauty in darkness when there wasn't any. It took a lot for the woman to accept the fact that indeed Amberle was a dangerous person but she accepted it a little too late because now she was tied up in some strange building awaiting the doings of fate. Accepting it did nothing to change her feelings though.

Every once in a while Joslyn would hear strange voices beyond the room she was locked in, but that was all. The men whose voices she heard had no intention of coming to talk or anything and the woman didn't mind it. How long was she there? How long did they intend to keep her there? The woman hadn't a clue but only then did the thoughts surfaced.

Joslyn wanted to be freed, of course, but somehow her mind could only revert to Amberle. On the minutes leading up to her passing out again the last thing she could remember as she drifted off due to the stillness of everything was that she owed Amberle an apology.