Star ; 20

27/01/19

As soon as we touched down last night we hired a rental car. We've been on the road all night, Lila tells me that she's driving because she remembers a quicker way. Strangely enough she doesn't look tired, just stressed out. I know that she's previously told me that her and her families relation has almost been non-existent since she moved. I can't imagine that she's feeling good about this. The only reason why she suggested her home town is because it's rural and in the middle of nowhere.

Nowhere is the place we need right now to be free. Free from the Stormers. Free from the music writing progress. Free from all of our responsibilities, except parenthood. We're hoping to maintain that forever.

"We're here." Lila whispers as she turns off the song me and Gray are awfully singing along to. I'm in the backseat with him, only to keep him company. Lila doesn't mind. I've noticed that when she dramatically sings along in the car to her favourite songs she spreads her arm out wide.

She likes the space.

With that both me and Gray look at each other. Our five year old boy is very smart. He knows when we're upset or angry...or even when we're stressed out. I'm not saying that he 'grew up too quick' because Gray thankfully hasn't. He's just more...understanding than other kids. He acts mature but he doesn't let that side affect him or his views.

He's a special kid, living a happy childhood...I hope. "It looks like shit." With that I look out of the window. I must look like a maniac or something. I was not expecting Gray to say that out of all of the things. "Grayson!" Lila shouts angrily. "Sorry but it does...don't it sad? It looks shit." The motel it's self looks prober grim. The motel light flickers on and off and the place, including the grounds look like they haven't been renovated in years.

"Stop it." I try not to smile as I sternly warn him. With that Gray then locks the door as someone, a beer bellied old guy with a long grey beard walks to the car. Oh my god. "Tom?!" Lila almost shrieks with excitement as she throws open the car door and jumps outside. The old man takes a second to realise who he is before joyfully laughing as the two share a moment. "We're gonna die here and I haven't even seen Avengers 4." Gray sobs besides me as I loose it. I burst out laughing. It must look rude so I get out of the car without saying anything else to him.

I guess me and my son share the same sarcasm and pessimistic thoughts. Fuck! I secretly fucking love that...I better win father of the year award or something. "My girl! Look how pretty you are! Oh my sweet Carolina, she passed on now...but if she saw you she would cry! You're beautiful!" Tom grabs both of my wife hands as Lila's eyes widen. "Carolina is..." before she can say the word he closes his eyes and nods his head.

"She went off to New York after you...she was missing all of us real bad and found something to fill her empty void." He then points to a vein in his arm and mimics an injection. Oh god. "I'm so sorry...oh my god Tom!" With that Lila throws both of her arms around him and hugs him tightly. I guess these two shared a bond...I've never heard Lila talk about 'Carolina' before.

With that they both pull apart. Tom then points at me, "who might this gentleman be?" Lila stands besides me as I put my arm around her waist. "This is Dan...he's my husband." Tom's eyes widen as he holds his mouth. "My dear girl...you're married..." Lila pushes away her tears still and smiles.

"Bug!" Gray screams like a pansy as he more or less falls out of the car and literally climbs up me. "What the-" I cut myself off as I remember one of Lila's rules about not swearing. "Is he..." Tom's voice trails off as he points at Gray. Lila nods her head as Tom jumps a single jump. He's so excited for her. "Gray, baby, this is Tom. When I as your age Tom opened up this motel during the summer holidays and I and his kids would play here." Gray shyly nods his head. He has...issues dealing with shyness. It's pretty bad actually.

Gray hates people. I can somewhat relate.

"You and my grand kiddies can go swimming tomorrow! We've just expanded the pool and added a slide! Do you like slides?" I nod my head for Gray as I put him down. He's got to stop acting like a baby. I mean...he is really afraid of bugs and we've came to a part of America where there is loads of bugs. Actually why the fuck isn't he dying already. I take back about what I thought of him being a baby. He's brave.

"Sounds awesome." Lila says as a part of me never wants to leave Gray alone in a place like this. I'll never leave him alone. "There's something I've got to tell ya and you might not like it but..." before Tom can say what it is a posh black car pulls up besides our rental. "Tom..." Lila says as she sounds like she almost wants to cry. "I'm so sorry." He whispers as a car window rolls down.

"Evangeline." Oh shit. That must be her mum, I'm only guessing but this woman looks exactly like Lila but older. Not much older...she must've had her daughter when she was young. "Hi mom..."

Well if this ain't awkward then I don't know what is!