seven

monday. a day that autumn would usually dread. today, however, it may be different. maybe, billy won't tease her. just maybe, she could learn in peace. she was sure he would bother the other students, but since the interaction between them maybe he wouldn't bother her.

autumn routinely entered the classroom and hung her hat and coat before sitting at her own desk, pulling out her sketchbook. barely anyone was in the classroom this early, so it was fairly quiet. diana barry, ruby gillis, and anne shirley-cuthbert were the only others in the small classroom. they whispered amongst themselves, looking at the artist.

"anne, she is quiet. i don't think she'd like to be bothered. autumn usually prefers being alone."

"oh, ruby. you must not know much about people. wanting to be alone is just a cover for how much they want to be included!"

"anne, ruby's right. autumn winters and cole mckenzie prefer to be alone, with each other. i heard that one time when billy came up to autumn, she stomped on his foot and ran away."

autumn chuckles, ending the girls to turn around and look at her.

"you girls believe everything you're told, don't you?" she says as she roughly sketches the outline of a rose. "billy andrews came up to me and told me that i was the ugliest girl in the grade. that's why i stomped on his foot. but ruby is right, i do prefer to be by my lonesome. that doesn't mean that i don't enjoy the company of others and being included, same thing with cole." anne smiles, looking at her two friends with an "i-told-you-so" face. diana and ruby were wide eyed with autumns voice, that they had rarely ever heard. the red-haired girl skips towards autumn before taking a seat next to her, diana and ruby following behind. "oh, autumn. this is simply beautiful!" anne smiles, beaming at what autumn was drawing. "roses are the most beautiful flowers on the planet. they're the flower of romance, did you know that?" ruby sighs. autumn lightly nods as she finishes the rose, beginning a new stem  next to it. "my personal favorite is a periwinkle. the color is nothing less than beautiful." diana says, looking to anne for her input. "mine is a stargazer lily. they have freckles, like me. but i suppose theirs are much more beautiful." she chuckles.

autumn has always adored anne's freckles.

"what about you, autumn? what's your favorite flower?"

"sunflowers."

"why sunflowers? they're so... plain!"

"well then, i suppose i'm plain. sunflowers follow the sun, what they need. they know what they need and do anything to get it. i suppose i'm the same way."

"beautifully said, autumn! i believe sunflowers are quite beautiful, and you are anything but plain. you're eyes are magnificent!"

"oh, shush. they're anything but. they're much too blue for my pleasing. i would die for hazel eyes. to have pools of honey when the sun shines on them is my absolute dream."

"autumn, must you be so pessimistic? your eyes are even more beautiful than the lake of shining waters!"

autumn was puzzled at anne's exclamation, but shrugged it off. the classroom soon began to fill, billy andrews no where in sight. today is meant to be his first day of tutoring, and autumn was sure neither of them were looking forward to it.