twenty-three

autumn walked in the cold until a building came into view. somehow, she stumbled upon green gables. trying to ignore it, she walked past the farmhouse and barn. a voice yells out. "excusez-moi, mademoiselle." it says, thick in a french accent. excuse me, miss. autumn had been taught very little french, but enough to carry a conversation. she turns to meet the boy calling for her. he was only a bit taller than autumn, but was quite short for the boys she had seen so far. "Bonjour, puis-je vous aider?" she asked as he approached her. hello, can i help you? he smiled in curiosity, "tu me comprends?" you understand me? autumn nods, smiling at the boy. "je suis jerry, qui es tu?" he asks. i am jerry, who are you? autumn tells him her name, but being cautious of the information she shared. "ah, so you are this autumn anne speaks of. she says you're quite the artist." he smiles, chuckling at the end. this sparks a conversation.

the two had soon cooped themselves up in the barn to attempt to escape the cold some. "jerry?" autumn asks, starting to say something. "can i ask you something?" jerry nods, leaning against a pile of hay. autumn swallows as a nervous lump forms in her throat. "there's this boy, billy. he's the absolute worst. but yet, he's sweet, a-and thoughtful. he's caring and funny, and he listens to what i say. but he's such a jerk. he's only nice when we're alone. at school, he's a complete idiot. i like him when we're alone, he's tolerable. but when around other people, all i want to do is punch him in the face. but i forgive him. how is it possible, jerry? how could i be so forgiving to a boy who hardly has one ounce of respect for me when he's around other people?" jerry looks at the girl, laughing. autumn looks back at him with a glare. "this is no laughing matter, jerry baynard." she says as the boy continues to laugh and smile.

"autumn, how could you be so clueless?" he asks, smiling as she plays with pieces of hay. "i'm not clueless." she says with an offended tone. jerry shakes his head, smiling. "comment te fait il sentir?" he asks as autumn looks at him with sad eyes. how does he make you feel? she looks down at the hay, twisting a strand around her finger before it breaks. autumn thought long and hard, chewing on her lip as she searched for the right words. "he... he takes my breath away. he puts a smile on my face when we're alone. and even when he's being a bully, he makes my heart race." she says. those are the easiest words she could explain her feelings in. jerry smiles again as he looks at the girl. her eyes were bluer than ever. "would you like my honest opinion?" he asks, earning a vigorous head nod from the blue eyed girl.

"well it seems to me, autumn maree winters, that you are in love."