twenty-eight

the majority of the cast had left, the slight few just starting to pack up. autumn was focused on continuing the mural, meaning to get half of it done that night. the room grew quiet, just a couple stage lights shining onto the art for her to see. gilbert had shown her how to shut them off. the girl sighs, finally being alone. she hated being alone. in attempt to make herself feel less lonely, she begins to sing.

"have yourself a merry little christmas, let your heart be light.
from now on your troubles will be out of sight.

have yourself a merry little christmas, make the yuletide gay.
from now on your troubles will be miles away."

her voice croaks as her throat becomes dry. she stops her painting, staring down from the ladder. this was hers and cole's favorite song to sing. they used to skip around the forest in the snow, singing their hearts out. a slight tear fell down her cheek as she realized what his injury meant. no art until it was healed, and even then drawing and painting would get some taking used to. she felt badly for her friend, the atmosphere around her suddenly changing to a dreary tone. she decides to change the song.

"it's beginning to look a lot like christmas, everywhere you go.
take a look at the five-and-ten, it's glistening once again with candy canes and silver lanes that glow.

it's beginning to look a lot like christmas, toys in every store.
but the prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be on your own front door."

suddenly she hears a noise, causing her to jerk her head in it's direction. autumn could hardly see through both the thick darkness and bright stage lights. "hello?" she calls out through the silence, resulting in loud steps walking her way. "h-hey, i have a-a," she looks around for a weapon, finding nothing, "a paintbrush!" her voice was shaking with fear, her eyes attempting to wander around the room to find a face or figure. a silhouette appears on the stairs, walking towards the girl. "please," she pleads, "don't kill me. i-i'm too young. i've hardly even experienced anything!" the figure laughs, easing autumn's mind. it was billy. her body was still tense, but she crawls down the ladder. she folds her arms across each other as they approach each other. autumn's face was stern as she spoke. "what do you want, andrews?"

the words hurt, she never called him by his last name- even before they knew one another. his throat formed the recently familiar lump. his eyes darted in each direction, not daring to look into hers. autumn waited patiently, beginning to tap her foot. "that's what i thought." she says, huffing as she turns to continue the artwork. billy stands there, looking at his feet and not saying a word. the girl was stood on the ladder, quietly painting each small design. billy works up the courage to speak, pulling out the folded piece of paper from his pant pocket. he begins, quietly at first but soon growing louder.

"her eyes, a closed book,
her heart, a locked door;
she writes melancholy
like she's lived it before."

autumn stops her painting, carefully listening to the boy as he continues.

"she onced loved in a way,
you could not understand;
he left her in pieces
and a pen in her hand.

the ode to her sorrow
in the life she has led-
her scratches on paper,
the words they have bled."

billy's voice shook at the end, tears threatening to spill out from his eyes as his voice attempts to break. autumn still stood atop the ladder, staring at the wall as tears fell down her cheeks. a small sniffle escapes, catching the boys attention. "i got an a," he says, "i did my best." the girl turns around, staring at the boy with bloodshot eyes. she knew the poem was for her, her heart hurt. thoughts and temptations ran through her mind, leaving her baffled at what to say or do. "i'm sorry," billy blurts, "i-i know i shouldn't have gotten so upset. and and i understand that you weren't ready. i'm sorry i'm so horrid, i'm sorry i can't change. but i'll try, i really will. all i need is for you to forgive me, that's all that matters. that's all i need. autumn, my life is so bland without you. there's no color, no more beauty. you brought all that stuff. and now it's just black and white and boring. please, forgive me autumn."

by the time he finished, autumn was already down from the ladder and throwing her arms around the boy. she held him tight, tears falling onto his sweater as she buried her face into the crook of his neck. billy was surprised at first, stumbling back a little before hugging autumn back. tighter than he had ever held anything, billy engulfed her in his arms. she wrapped her legs around his waist, lifting herself up into his arms. this was quite comfortable for the both of them. "please, please don't hold me responsible for my actions. i really truly mean no harm." he whispers in her hair, catching a quick whiff of her honey scent. the smell calmed him as he let himself melt into her. the two fell to the floor, holding each other.

"i know, bills, i know."