twenty one.

stronger

As Connor exited the Lieutenant's car, he noticed how the temperature outside suddenly dropped. The playground beside him was covered in darkness and snow, the area only being lit by the dim lights above.

Connor approached the Lieutenant in front of him – who was currently sitting on a park bench with a bottle of alcohol. The android walked forwards to look out towards the city, the bright lights shining in the cold water below.

"Nice view, huh?" Hank's voice comes from beside him. "I used to come here a lot before..."

He doesn't finish his sentence, taking a sip of his beer. Connor glances over at him, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Before what?" He asks the Lieutenant.

Hank looks back at him for a brief moment, a slight shimmer of pain settling in his eyes. "Before – before nothin'."

Connor lets the conversation drop, walking out on to the boardwalk as his frustration starts to build up.

"We're not making any progress on this investigation. The deviant's have nothing in common," He says, folding his arms together. "They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places."

"Well, there must be some link." Hank mumbles from behind him.

The android scours his brain for information, only one thing standing out to him the most. "What they have in common is this obsession with rA9. It's almost like some kind of – myth. Something they invented that wasn't apart of their original program."

"Android's believing in God," The Lieutenant scoffs. "Fuck, what's this world coming to?"

Connor turns around to look at the man, examining his facial expressions as he notices a change in his behaviour.

"You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant. Is it something to do with what happened back at the Eden Club?" He asks out of curiosity.

"Those two girls, they just wanted to be together. They really seemed – in love."

The android feels a shiver run down his spine as Hank speaks, unaware of the reason behind his reaction.

"They can simulate human emotions. But they're machines – and machines can't feel anything." Connor replies, almost trying to convince himself.

Hank seems unconvinced, finishing off his drink before he stands up, approaching the android with an objective. "What about you, Connor? You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?"

Connor looks back at him as he struggles to answer the question. He was supposed to just be a machine – something to serve humans. But something inside of him told him that he was more.

"I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant," He admits, a burst of energy flowing through his body. "Your partner, your buddy to drink with, or just a machine – designed to accomplish a task."

"You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't. Why didn't you shoot, Connor?" Hank asks, giving him a shove.

His stress starts to rise as dozens of questions raid his mind. Why didn't he shoot the girls? They were deviants – but they looked so helpless. They just wanted to be alive together. Connor should've thought that it was wrong – but he didn't.