Chapter 15

After several 'anothers' of the boozy lemonade, I was feeling a bit riled up about Ben. Shawn and I were alone on the patio since everyone else had gone to bed. It was closer to sunrise than midnight, but neither of us seemed to care.

"I just don't like feeling like I didn't count," I said, knowing my words were slurring a bit. "He was only with me until he could get her back!"

"I doubt it was like that. And based on how many times he texted me, I think there's an explanation he wants to give you," Shawn said.

I waved a hand dismissively. "Fuck him!"

"You aren't going to hear him out?" he asked.

"Nope. And I know he's your friend but I am, too. Don't you dare take his side!"

"I just feel bad for the guy. I think he's been up all night."

I narrowed my eyes and glared at him. "Fuck you, too."

I knew this was not an appropriate way to talk to my boss but we were a little drunk and he was being an ass right now. If he fired me, I'd deal.

Shawn started to smile. And then he chuckled. "I deserved that. I respect that you don't care about what he has to say. Good for you for being able to cut the ties that easily. I struggle with that."

"Do you still talk to Kat?"

"No."

"You miss her?" I asked.

He looked down at his hands before looking up at me and making eye contact. "Honestly? Sometimes I'm not sure if I miss her or if I just miss having someone."

"You're Shawn Mendes. How difficult can it be to find someone else?"

"Harder than you'd think. I'm always falling for someone I can't have," he said softly and I knew he meant someone specific.

Why did this bug me? It even made me a little mad.

"Good luck with that," I said as I stood up. "I'm going to go clean up the food. I don't want this beautiful house to get mice or bugs."

Shawn stood up, too. "I'm helping."

It took a while, but we got everything tidied up. I'd been given tomorrow off from breakfast, and all I could think about was sleeping until almost noon. I did one last wipe-down of the island and turned to Shawn who was leaned against the opposite counter.

"You look beautiful tonight," he said to me as I tossed the paper towel in the trash can. "I should have told you earlier."

"Thanks, boss," I said, taking a sip of my final drink.

I hopped up on the counter. I made a mental note to wipe it off again tomorrow before cooking since this was totally not sanitary.

Shawn took a step towards me. "Don't call me that."

"It's the truth."

"You're off the clock right now, though."

"I didn't really feel like I was on the clock at all tonight," I said.

He smiled. "Good. You know, everyone in the house is either paid by me or makes money because of me, but I don't want anyone feeling like I'm their superior. I want people to feel like they are on my team."

"I think it's apparent that the people here feel that way."

"What about you?"

"Are you asking if I'm on Team Mendes?"

"Yes. Are you?" he asked.

"I might if I get a shirt with your name on the back."

He laughed and moved a bit closer to me. My knees were now inches from his torso. A million butterflies suddenly took flight in my stomach. We just stood there for a few tortuous moments, our eyes locked. I broke mine away but they fell on his lips which was not much better. All I could think about was kissing him.