Chapter 17

Things returned to what could almost pass for normal after a few days. Shawn continued to look at me like he had something to say, but he knew better than to try to talk. I had my job to do and I did it.

On the fourth day after the party, I got up early to make muffins. I was trying a new recipe and wanted to have time to make something else if they failed. I usually had muffins, scones, or some other pastry on hand every morning for the early risers to have with coffee, so trying different varieties was a must.

After pulling the Morning Glory muffins from the oven and letting them cool a bit, I tried one with a mug of coffee. They were chock full of flavor from the different fruits, nuts, and carrots and I was quite pleased. They we're almost like carrot cake in muffin form. As I took a second bite I heard someone coming down the stairs. I looked over from my spot at the counter and was surprised to see Kat. Surprised was probably an understatement. Horrified fit my feelings better.

"Good morning, Chelsea!" she said in a loud sing-songy voice.

"Hey, Kat," I said with less enthusiasm.

"Mmmm something smells good. Do I want to blow all my calories for the day on whatever indulgence you've cooked up? Maybe I should save them for later. I bet you're making something sinful for dinner!"

I smiled at her despite the fact that she was throwing low-key shade at my cooking by implying it was unhealthy. And she made it clear she'd be here for dinner, too. Fantastic.

Kat got herself a coffee and then fixed another. She brought both with her as she made her way back up the stairs. Obviously she brought Shawn coffee in bed.

I tossed my muffin in the trash since I'd now lost my appetite. I took the rest from the pan and put them on a platter on the counter with a card that had a description. I liked to do this in case someone hated an ingredient and hadn't told me. After refilling my coffee, I took it outside with me and walked past the patio down to some wooden lounge chairs in the grass. This was a peaceful spot and I loved the view in the morning.

I wasn't feeling at peace as I sat there, though. I was feeling aggravated, insecure, and jealous.

Was I surprised Kat was back in the picture? Yes and no. Shawn never seemed really broken-hearted over their split, but that didn't mean he wasn't. Perhaps he loved her. Who was I to know? Just because I found her to be a vile excuse for a human didn't mean he did. He'd dated her for awhile, so she had to have some redeeming qualities.

Like being incredible in bed, a voice in my brain screamed at me. She wasn't a virgin. She knew what to do. Maybe she was the best he'd ever had. Was that why he didn't want me, the pathetic chef with no sexual experience?

How had she ended up at the house? I'd stayed up fairly late with the team as they played music and traded stories about songwriting. Everyone had been drinking a lot, and I'd gone up to bed after midnight since I had no desire to get too inebriated. Had he drunk texted her? It hurt me to think he had. But what did I want him to do instead of reaching out to her? Knock on my door? I'd made it clear that our one night was an isolated incident to be forgotten and never spoken of.

Long after I'd finished my coffee I went back in the house to start lunch. I was making salmon and grilled vegetables. It was simple but healthy and delicious. Kat would be hard-pressed to find fault with it.

I'd finished the vegetables and had them warming in one oven as I broiled the salmon in the second one. Ziggy joined me in the kitchen and grabbed what was needed to set the table.

"I think there's an extra person," I called over my shoulder to him.

"Actually, there's not," Shawn's voice said from the staircase. I turned and saw him descend, his hair damp and tousled.