Chapter 50

"I'm so proud of you," Shawn said, his eyes meeting mine. "This place is just incredible. I mean, it was great the last time I saw it, but it's so different when it's full of people."

We were sitting at a table for two. The ceremony had been fast and now everyone was happily eating and drinking. I was only eating since I wasn't going to imbibe on the job. Shawn, surprisingly, was drinking plain ginger ale with lime. I was trying not to stare at him too much. He looked so handsome in a white button down shirt, slim navy blue pants, and brown slip-on shoes that looked like they cost thousands.

"Thank you. Everything is going much more smoothly than I anticipated. I know that once I open for lunch and dinner and have 16 hour work days, that will change."

"But you're happy," he stated.

I can't really be happy without you, my brain screamed.

"Yes, I am. How are you doing?"

"I finished recording, which is a big relief. Now it's just a matter of putting the album together and promoting it," he said.

"When is all this happening?"

"The first single will drop right at the start of the new year and the album will be released at the end of January. Unfortunately I have to do all the promos from LA since I can't leave Kat that late in her pregnancy."

I felt my stomach clench at the mention of her name.

"Congratulations," I said with a forced smile. "I'm looking forward to listening to it."

He looked down at his hands for a second before looking back up at me.

"I'm really sorry, Chels. I know things got ugly after the pregnancy went public. I wanted to text you, but you left my last text on read. I know I should have said something to defend you, but I backed off social media. I want you to know that when I start doing promotional interviews and I get asked about us, I'll be honest. I'll make sure everyone knows that you weren't 'the other woman' and that any hatred towards you is misplaced."

"Thank you," I said before standing up. "I need to go check on the kitchen."

I didn't want to get into any of this with him. He hurt me when he didn't text me. I appreciated that he knew he'd handled it poorly, but it was over and done now. It was a bit late to apologize.

I made my way through the crowd and was pleased to see people with full plates of food. That was a good sign. When I got to the kitchen, it was clear that my cooks had everything under control.

"How's it going?" I asked.

"It's good!" Stef, the recent graduate, said. "But is it true Shawn Mendes is here? The servers ran in and told us."

"It's true but we're all to remain professional."

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Everyone at my bistro knew about our history. It had never actually come up before, but Paige told me she'd overheard my employees talking about it.

"I'm fine," I said before turning and going back to the dining room to check in with the servers.

Before I could find either of my waitstaff, Paige grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me into the bathroom.

"What the fuck, Chelsea. Shawn's here? I didn't see him until a minute ago."

"He said he felt bad about missing the wedding and caught a last minute flight this morning. I don't think Ben even knew he was coming."

"And you're okay?" she asked.

I needed everyone to stop asking me that!

"Yes. We sat and talked for a bit. It's all good. We're just two ex-lovers at the same wedding trying to pretend that it isn't at all awkward," I said.