Chapter 85

I was busily doing some cleaning at my bistro on a warm Friday in late August. There weren't many customers between lunch and dinner, and I'd finished baking, so it made sense to do some chores that often went unattended. My current task involved taking all the mugs and glasses off the back of the rack at the bar and washing them. The ones way at the rear rarely got used and could get a bit dusty.

As I brought a tray of wine glasses back to the dining room after running them through the dishwasher, Paige started to laugh at me.

"What?" I asked.

"You've got some serious pep in your step and the goofiest smile on your face. I wonder why," she teased.

I grinned. Shawn was coming home tonight. His last two shows were here in Toronto and then he was done. I'd have him all to myself for god knows how long.

"It's been a long tour," I said.

"And you've been a trooper. I'm proud of you."

"You and Ros really don't mind covering the next three days?" I asked.

Paige was still around since she hadn't found a job that would compensate her particularly well. She kept telling me that until she found something that beat my pay and that was as enjoyable, she'd be working for me. I was overjoyed to have her stay on, of course.

"We don't mind at all, Chels. You've been working like a dog the whole time Shawn has been gone. I think you've earned time off!"

She went to check on some customers and I got back to work. I'd just finished cleaning all the drink ware and was dusting the top of the cabinet behind the bar when someone behind me cleared their throat. I turned around and saw my husband standing at the counter.

"Can I get an Americano, please?" he asked.

I jumped off the step stool and ran around the bar towards him.

"Oh my god! You weren't supposed to get here until tonight!" I exclaimed as I jumped in his arms.

"I caught an earlier flight," he said into my ear as we hugged.

I pulled back and looked into his perfect face. "I'm so glad you're home!"

Just then Paige walked over to us and turned towards Shawn. "Welcome back, rock star. Take your wife home so that this cuteness doesn't make any of the customers leave."

"I'm starving. Can I eat first?" he asked.

"Yes, but make it quick for Chelsea's sake."

We went to our favorite table near the back and sat down. Shawn rarely got disturbed when he came to my restaurant anymore, and since he'd been touring, no fans hung around hoping to see him. That could change now that he was home, but I didn't care.

"What do you recommend?" he asked as he skimmed the menu.

"The grilled turkey and Brie sandwich is good. It has apple butter on it," I said. "We just added it to the menu for September along with several other apple themed items."

Paige walked over. "What can I get you?"

"The turkey and Brie sandwich and a water, please," he said.

"Crap! You wanted a coffee, right?" I added. "I can make that."

"I'll have coffee after. Are you eating?"

"I ate when I was on break. Sorry."

Paige went to the kitchen and I continued to just gaze at Shawn. I couldn't help it, even though I'm sure I looked dopey and pathetic. I was just so ecstatic that he was back.