Chapter 92

Shawn, who now seemed completely sober, rushed out of the bathroom to call Dr. Abbott, and I could see him pacing back and forth on his phone. I heard him speaking but I couldn't make out the words.

"I got the answering service. Dr. Abbott should call back soon," he said as he grabbed the towel and started to wrap me up in it. "Do you want me to carry you to the bed?"

"I don't feel well, and I don't really want to move. Can you just get me a shirt?"

He helped me into one of his shirts and then brushed my wet hair and put it in a ponytail while I leaned against the tile wall next to the shower.

Something did not feel right. I wasn't just having contractions; I was also feeling pressure.

"This isn't how I wanted this to happen," I said with panic in my voice.

"It's going to be okay, baby. Don't worry," Shawn reassured me.

Just then his phone buzzed. I listened as he told Dr. Abbott what was going on.

"She wants to talk to you," he said as he handed me the phone.

"Chelsea, Shawn said the contractions are coming fast. Do you think you can get to the hospital?" my doctor asked.

"I-I think the baby is coming soon," I said.

"Everything is going to be fine. Put Shawn back on."

I handed the phone to him. He listened intently and then hung up. "I'm calling 911. Dr. Abbott is on her way to the hospital to meet us."

I could tell that he was fighting to stay calm for my sake, but there was a look of terror in his eyes. He placed the call and was explaining everything to the dispatch operator when a contraction hit me.

"Oh god! I need to push!" I yelled.

Shawn put the phone on speaker and knelt next to me. The dispatch person started giving him directions after introducing herself as Tanya. She said to unlock the door for the paramedics first. He ran and did that. While he did, she told me to try not to push until they arrived. When he got back, she had him lay me down on the floor so that I was flat on my back. The tiles were cold but in a way that felt good.

"Shawn, I need you to check to see if the baby is crowning," she said.

"What does that mean?" he asked anxiously.

"You are going to look between Chelsea's legs to see if you can see the baby's head."

"Oh fuck, are you kidding me?!" he asked.

"I'm not. You can do this. Chelsea, help him by bringing your knees up and spreading your legs," Tanya said.

I did what she said. Shawn moved so that he was at my feet, and he lowered his head.

"I don't see a head," he said with obvious relief.

"Okay. That's good. Keep watching as she has another contraction."

It didn't take long for one to hit me. I screamed in pain and tried my hardest not to follow my body's directive to push, but I couldn't help it.

"Jesus Christ!" Shawn yelled. "I see the head! The top of it is out!"

Tanya remained calm. "The paramedics should be there in four to five minutes. You are going to need to deliver this baby, though. We can't have the head lodged in the birth canal."

Shawn took a deep breath and looked me in the eye. "We can do this. I know we can, honey."

I started to cry again from fear, but I nodded.