Chapter 31

I finally went home on Wednesday night. Shawn wanted me to stay over, but I had cramps and back pain, so I knew my period was coming. I didn't want to mess up his sheets again or have to run out to buy supplies, so it was just easier to go home and deal with my monthly visitor alone. I hadn't told Shawn this, though. I'd said I wasn't feeling great and left after dinner.

When I showed up the next morning, letting myself in with my key, I found him in the kitchen drinking coffee. He smiled when he saw me. I smiled back, though I was pretty miserable from my period, which had come on overnight.

"I missed you," he said as he stood up and wrapped his arms around me.

"Same. I woke up and reached over for you. Then I realized I was in my own bed alone."

"Well then clearly we shouldn't spend the night apart. I need to be there when you reach for me," he said as he kissed me on the forehead. He then let go of me to get me a cup of coffee.

I bit my lip as I worried about how to respond.

He handed me my coffee. "What's wrong, Chels?"

"I need to stay at my place again tonight. And tomorrow, too," I told him as I added sugar and milk to my drink.

He scowled. "And why is that?"

Were we at the stage in a relationship where I could openly talk about my horrible heavy flow? When I'd been in Malibu, I'd slept on two towels during my cycle to prevent any bloody messes. I had to use both a tampon and a pad all the time. It was that bad. It was always that bad.

"I have my period."

Shawn made a confused face. "So? If you didn't stay because we couldn't have sex, that's ridiculous. We can just cuddle. You're staying tonight."

Shaking my head, I said, "You don't understand. It's bad. And messy. You don't want me in your bed."

And then I started to cry because I was a hormonal mess and I felt guilty for rejecting my wonderful boyfriend.

Shawn rushed over to me and pulled me to his chest.

"Don't cry, honey. I'm sorry your period is so bad, but I still want you here. I'll buy new sheets every day if it means I can hold you at night."

This only made me cry more.

He scooped me up and carried me over to the sofa where he sat down, cradling me in his arms.

"I think you need to take a sick day today," he suggested. "I can fix us lunch later, assuming you like PB&J, and we'll get whatever take-out you want for dinner."

"You're too good to me," I said through my sobs.

"Well yeah. I'm good to you because I love you. That's how it works," he said as he pushed some strands of hair off my damp cheeks.

I looked in his warm brown eyes for confirmation that he was telling the truth and I could see the love shining through them.

"I love you, too," I said before wrapping my arms around his neck and hugging him.

We just sat there for several minutes, holding each other.

"So it's settled? You're staying?" Shawn said after a bit.

"I didn't bring enough supplies to stay over."

"If you tell me what you need, I'll go to the store," he offered.

"No!" I exclaimed. "We can go together. Let's go to Target. I'm buying a mattress protector and some sheets."

"You're up for going out?"