Chapter 24

Paige came to visit me while I was at home taking it easy. We sat in the tiny living room area of my garage apartment drinking coffee and eating blueberry scones that my dad had made for an event. One of the perks of catering was getting the extra food.

"It sounds like your time in California was awesome, except for the sprained ankle," she said after I'd told her about my month at The Woodshed. I'd left out what happened between me and Shawn.

"Observing the recording process was inspiring. And I grew to love everyone there. I'm really going to miss the team."

"I saw that Kat posted some pictures with Shawn on Instagram a week ago. She's back?" Paige asked.

"You follow her?"

She shrugged. "Yeah. She's insta-famous and even if I've never met her, I know Shawn."

"Oh."

I'd never thought to look at Kat's account. Maybe that was for the best.

"So they got back together?" she pried.

"Briefly. I guess it's over now, but you never know with Kat. She keeps coming back."

Paige smiled. "Nine lives?"

I started laughing. "Something like that. God knows she had her claws in him for awhile."

"I hope she stays gone, for your sake."

"Same. She was a nightmare to cook for and interact with," I agreed.

Paige took a sip of her coffee. "That's not what I meant, Chelsea."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Come on! You and Shawn are both single. It's time for the two of you to acknowledge that there's something between you!"

Shaking my head, I said, "I think it's for the best that we just stay friends."

"Whatever. I think you are an idiot. The man is perfection and he digs you. Why not allow yourself some happiness?" she said.

I really wished that I knew how Shawn felt. That would make things much simpler.

"How's Ben?" I asked, changing the subject.

"He and Karyn are back together and she's pretty much moved in with him."

I nodded.

"Does that bother you?" she asked.

I thought about her question for a second. Did it bother me? I dug deep to examine my feelings and felt...nothing. I wasn't jealous or even that hurt. It stung a little that I hadn't meant much to him, but had he meant all that much to me? He'd obviously been in love with Karyn all along. Could I fault him for that?

"It doesn't. And if they are happy, then it worked out for the best."

"You're a fucking saint. I'd harbor some major resentment."

"When I got to California, I experienced that whole 'out of sight, out of mind' thing with regards to Ben. I knew we weren't meant to be if I wasn't missing him," I explained.

"Plus you had your hot boss to occupy your thoughts."

I rolled my eyes. "We are not getting back on that subject!"

                             ~~~~~~

"I got everything you said to get at the store," Shawn said proudly.

It was 11:00 on Monday and I was back at work. Kind of. I was seated sideways on one of the stools at the kitchen island. My bad foot was propped up on a chair, on top of a pillow. Shawn has insisted on the cushion since I'd be sitting there a while.