Chapter 45

"I love these colors!" Paige said enthusiastically as she surveyed the large open freshly painted space.

Half of the walls were a light sage green. The others were painted a medium gray. The interior trim was bright white, which would coordinate with the cloth napkins. The contractors were finally done and Paige and I were adding decorative touches to the restaurant.

My restaurant.

I'd gone the clichéd route and named it Chelsea's Bistro. By the end of next week there'd be a sign over the door that said that in big cursive letters.

I wouldn't be fully open for a couple more months, though. In three weeks, I was starting out being open in the morning only and would be serving coffee, pastries, and light breakfast items. I would then add in lunch and dinner after the new year.

I'd spent the last few weeks applying for various business licenses, planning my initial menu, and interviewing for the staff positions. These things consumed my days and distracted me from my heartache.

My nights weren't so easy. I'd rented a studio apartment three blocks from my restaurant the week after Shawn left. It was similar to my garage apartment, and I liked it. It was lonely, though. I'd always had my parents around when I lived with them. I had Shawn at the condo, of course. For the first time, I was fully independent. This wasn't a bad thing, but it would take some getting used to. I certainly couldn't get used to it while my heart was shattered in millions of pieces.

Paige and I decided to take a break and go out to lunch. My birthday was in a few days, so she insisted on treating me. We were seated in a booth at an Indian restaurant I'd heard was good. Paige got up to use the restroom, so I checked my phone. An email popped up that made my blood run cold.

To: Shawn Mendes, Chelsea Price

From: Willetson Travel Co.

Just a reminder that your departure date is approaching! The weather in Puerto Rico is lovely right now. Pack your sunscreen!

Don't forget your passport when you head to the airport.

Please note your flight numbers and hotel reservation confirmation below.

I hadn't forgotten about my birthday trip. Shawn must have, though, since he hadn't canceled it.

"What's wrong?" Paige asked as she sat down.

"Oh, nothing," I said as I stuck my phone in my purse.

"Spill it, sister. That's not a 'nothing' look on your face. Is it Shawn? Has that asshole done something?"

"It's related to Shawn, but quit calling him an asshole. He's not. In fact, he's whatever the opposite of an asshole is for doing what he's doing," I chided her.

"Fine. But what's wrong?"

I then told her all about the trip we'd booked and how I'd received the reminder. I explained that it stung, but that I'd get over it.

"We're still going out for birthday drinks, right?" she asked.

I'd been asked out by her, Hayden, Ben, and Karyn. So not only was I the sad newly single girl, I was also a fifth wheel.

"Yes, we are," I said with as much perkiness as I could muster.

My parents had gotten a contract on their Toronto house and were currently in Vancouver. They were looking for a small apartment there while waiting out the birth of their first grandchild. If it weren't for my friends taking me out, I'd be spending my 23rd birthday alone.