Chapter 20

Once we reached the village, we got off our horses and dropped them off at the stables.

Charles and Ash stayed behind for a bit to get some more supplies for when we leave the village and to do a little special something which you'll find out about soon.

Once the two boys teleported back, we let the girl lead us to her... home.

We walked passed cramped alleyways until we reached her house.

Bleeping hell it was awful!

The house itself was dark and damp, giving the place an eery feel to it. The whole area around the house was dead _ literally.

There was not a single living plant in the whole garden!

The windows were, of course, smashed and barricaded and the door was almost completely unhinged.

"This is where you live?" I asked, causing the girl to nod, clearly unaffected by the spookiness of the whole area.

"Let's move," Jamie ordered, picking the girl up, hugging her tightly before walking into the building.

I quickly followed after him with my sword in hand. Jamie eyed it amusedly causing me to shrug.

"What? I need to threaten them with something," I replied, causing Jamie to chuckle quietly.

"IS ANYONE IN HERE?" Ash yelled loudly, knocking on the half-fallen off door, causing the door to fall onto the ground, emitting a loud crash, "Oops..."

I walked in front of everyone and entered the house, carefully looking around me, ready to attack.

"Emma, my dear!" A woman suddenly came into the house, reeking of dragon's heart _ the Celestian version of alcohol.

Wait... Emma... Emma... HER NAME WAS EMMA!

Jamie's eyes flashed in anger as he glared at the woman in front of him menacingly.

I elbowed him lightly before walking up to the woman, sheathing my sword, "Who are you?"

The woman, clearly unfazed by my scariness, simply smirked, "I'm the girl's mum."

I gave her a glare, stepping in front of the girl, who I now know is called Emma, protectively, "Well, can you explain how we found your daughter alone, in the woods, covered in bruises?"

The woman looked at me in fear for a split second before saying in an overdramatic voice, "Oh my baby! My beautiful baby _ oh, what happened to you?"

The woman tried to get closer to Emma however Sophie gave the woman a threatening growl, causing her to flinch and back up.

That's right, bleeper! Fear us!

"Tell us the truth," Charles demanded, standing behind Sophie with a hand on her shoulder, "Now."

The woman gulped and stared at us fearfully due to our intense glares before sobbing, "It was all my husband! H-he convinced m-me to drink a-and... Sh-she was trying to stop me a-and..."

I sighed at the woman tiredly; even though she seemed to be a pretty good actress, we had no time for her lies.

Especially since Charles borrowed a mind reader's powers a few seconds ago.

Yeah, that's right! We were clever this time! We used Charles's power (which was the ability to use or "borrow" other people's magic) to our advantage.

"You know," Charles began, "It's very hard to lie to us. Especially since yours truly is a mind reader."

The look on the woman's face was priceless. To be honest, I genuinely about to laugh however held myself back.

"I-I... I have no excuse," the woman then whispered tiredly, "I've harmed my own daughter. My own flesh and blood. The only thing I have left of her father."

I looked over at Charles, who was assessing the woman carefully, before walking closer and closer to the woman once more.

"Don't you dare call her your daughter you bleeper!" I yelled loudly, "Ash, get the police _ or whatever the hell you Celestians have instead!"

Ash teleported away and returned within seconds with two tall, intimidating men who just screamed police.

"Child abuse," I said before either of the men could ask any questions, "That woman did it. Don't question us cause we're about to save this world. See ya later bleepers," I then walked out of the room.

I had to bite my lip so hard to stop myself from laughing out loud at the men's confused faces.

Anyway, I was being followed by the others who also had a hard time containing their laughs.

By the time we were out of earshot, we all burst out laughing, causing little Emma to look up at us and smile, even if she was confused at what we were saying.

"I can't believe you actually said that! What the hell were you thinking?" Jamie exclaimed, laughing loudly.

"It's official," Sophie then said, playfully slapping my back, "You've completely lost it!"

I rolled my eyes before looking at Emma, who was still in Jamie's arms, worriedly.

Jamie noticed me staring before mumbling something in Emma's ear, causing her to nod eagerly.

He then gently handed her over to be causing me to stiffen _ what if I drop her? What if I squeeze her too tightly? What if I accidentally hurt her?

Bleeping hell, I didn't even know HOW TO CARRY A CHILD!

Suddenly, Emma wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and snuggled closer to me, causing me to relax ever so slightly _ If Emma was comfortable, then I was fine.

We then headed to where we dropped off our horses and then saddled them up once more with me and Emma sharing a horse this time.

"Let's get outta here," I then said, gently tugging on the reins.