Chapter 32

The next three days were pure bliss: Jamie was spoiling me all day, I was finally able to hog Emma all to myself and not a single fight occurred between us.

Well... maybe there was one fight.

Sophie started ignoring Charles again, however, instead of Charles begging her to start talking again, he kinda just gave up.

Most of the time, he'd just sit in the corner and talk to either Beth or Martin in hushed tones, occasionally glancing at Sophie before turning back to their serious conversation.

At first, I thought it was really weird, then it just became annoying!

I mean, the number of times Charles was whispering in the corner, staring at Sophie like a creep, was starting to get on my nerves.

After about the millionth time those three did that I yelled, "CAN YOU JUST TALK TO SOPHIE ALREADY YOU CREEP!"

Everyone in the room jumped before looking at Charles, Beth and Martin with amused expressions.

Charles himself visibly stiffened before walking up to Sophie and gently dragging her with him to the corridor outside.

Let's just hope they actually fix their mess of a relationship this time!

Sophie's POV

I glared at Charles venomously once he pulled me out of the room.

"What the hell is wrong with you," I hissed, causing him to roll his eyes at my annoyance.

"Well, other than the fact that I feel like the worst possible person to ever exist, I think I'm pretty normal," Charles replied drily, causing me to look at him in surprise.

Charles was never ever sarcastic in any sort of way. At least, the Charles I used to know.

"Why did you drag me here anyways?" I asked, after regaining my senses.

"I need to tell you something. But this time you have to promise me you will not speak a word of this to anyone else," Charles said, looking at me seriously.

"I... I guess," I shrugged.

To be honest, as horrible as it sounds, I didn't really care what Charles was going to say _ nothing about him mattered to me anymore.

"I may have hidden something from you guys..." he began, causing me to glare viciously at Charles.

The little lying son of a-

"Wait! I promise it's not bad!" He quickly yelled defensively before I could get Jamie here with us to kill Charles.

"Go on then!" I snapped.

"Look... what I said about why I joined Arthur was half of the truth. You see, even though I always wanted to find out about my parents, that was never my main goal. Before I betrayed you, Arthur was a pretty good leader. He wasn't exactly the nicest person but he was a stable ruler. The only issue is the fact that he fed on power. These missions he makes us go on are never optional. If you don't do them, it could lead to the torture of all your relatives. Seen as I had no living relatives, Beth and Martin's lives were at stake. I had to do it. This is why I did it. Not because of my parents," Charles explained quietly, causing my eyes to widen.

The whole time I thought he was a selfish idiot who cared for no one but himself and his stupid plans.

Little did I know, the man standing in front of me was a hero. Someone who sacrificed a whole life for the sake of his friends.

Here comes the overwhelming sense of guilt!

I hated him for months and yet, Charles was forced to do it. He had no choice.

"Why?" I then whispered looking directly into his eyes, "Why lie about it?"

Charles sighed before mumbling, "I failed them. I failed my friends. What sort of man would that make me seem like if I told you?"

At that very moment, I finally saw Charles for who he really was _ one of the most loyal guys to ever walk this wold.

Not only was he so ashamed of the fact that his friends were in danger, he practically risked his future for them.

"At least you would've been honest," I muttered looking at him in confusion _ what the hell was I supposed to do after that?

"You don't get it, Soph. It was my fault they were nearly killed! If I didn't make any connections with people, none of this would've happened! I wouldn't have had to put my friend's lives on the line, I wouldn't have to betray you people and I wouldn't have my heart trampled on every single day for the rest of my life!" Charles yelled all of a sudden, his eyes shining with tears.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, guiltily. Even though I may have forgiven him back at Magus Academy, I still felt guilty whenever I looked at him.

"Look..." Charles sighed, running a hand through his hair, "I just had to get this all off my chest. Don't think of me as a different person because I will always be the traitor you hate so much. I don't want to forge a relationship out of pity. So please, be my guest, and insult me as much as you like because I don't care anymore."

All of a sudden, Charles stormed back into the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

I stared at the wall dumbfoundedly before massaging my temples tiredly _ it's official, I had no idea what to do!

Lisa's POV:

As Charles stormed into the room, we all stared at him in shock. Charles very rarely lost his temper like that.

To be honest, even Jamie looked slightly worried for the guy.

"What?" Charles spat, causing us all to quickly stop staring at him.

"I'll go check on Sophie," I mumbled awkwardly, walking out of the tense room.

I practically sighed in relief when I left the room! Bleeping hell, the tension was so thick, you could cut it with a knife!

"Are you ok?" I then asked, looking over at Sophie (who was staring at the wall) worriedly.

"No," Sophie replied bluntly, "Charles hates me, I feel terrible and apparently the idiot can somehow find like a million separate stories to make me feel bad!"

I simply hugged Sophie as tightly as possible: I knew how weird her relationship with Charles was but I never thought it was that bad.

"I think you need to find a way to make it up to Charles. I mean, he's always made such a huge effort to have you forgive him _ it's about time that you two swapped roles," I said, causing Sophie to sigh.

"I-I think I might be a little too late," she whispered in defeat.

"Hey, hey, hey! What the bleep happened to the stubborn bleeper who'd do anything for her friends huh?" I suddenly asked, causing Sophie to shrug.

"I don't know..." she whispered, "I-I don't think Charles wants to even look at me."

"Bleep that!" I then snapped, "You barely let Charles survive without beating the bleep out of him yet he stayed with you the whole entire time. Now grow a bleeping pair and get your love interest back!"

"I'm getting Charles back," Sophie promised, looking at me with a scary glint in her eyes.