Overworld Chapter 45 - Desert People

…and back into Hyrule Fields. The moonlight was cool and the night breeze was bitter coming down from the north. It helped perk Link up a little bit.

            Like Endeavor had said earlier, they weren’t very far from the edge of the desert. There was a foot bridge spanning across Zora River between the two train tracks leading in and out of the desert. It was narrow, and they had to dismount to cross.

            It was still bitter cold in the desert. The sun began to rise behind them as they covered the expanse from the edge of Hyrule Fields to Sandsought Village.

            The village hadn’t woken up yet when they arrived. Even the train station was silent while they were there. A light flickered from the inn, but it didn’t appear that the innkeeper was even awake. It was just a candle resting in the window.

            Endeavor said in a low voice, “They should be waking soon. Dawn is nearing.”

            “Where are we headed?” Link asked.

            “We should find Daniel first before we approach the elder about our quest,” Endeavor stated. “The stable may be open.”

            “Who are you?”

            Epona reared, startled by the unheard approacher. Link attempted to calm the horse, before turning her around to see who had spoken. Endeavor flicked her wrist, and Quicksilver quietly turned.

            Standing before them was a Gerudo woman. She had olive skin and bright orange hair. In the darkness, Link couldn’t quite make out her eyes, but it appeared that they were white. She was dressed similarly to the Gerudo raiders they had run it to, but it was very apparently that this woman wasn’t from the wild clans. Her skin wasn’t green enough.

            Link glanced at Endeavor, before replying, “My name’s Link Sayre, of Eveningale.”

            “And I am Endeavor Westwind of the Drex Tribe,” Endeavor answered. Journey finally caught up with them, and paced by the Gerudo woman before joining Endeavor again. “Who might you be?”

            “My name is Parijan Nassar,” the woman said, not making any motion to extent her hand. “Why are you here?” Her arms were crossed, and it was apparent that she wasn’t there to welcome them into town.

            Endeavor said, “We were going to rendezvous with a companion before visiting your elder.”

            Again, Parijan held her defensive stance. “What business do you have with Ra’ess? With the Gerudo at all, for that matter?”

            “Child, you may not be able to see, but this is the Hero of the Goddess,” Endeavor stated. “And our business does not concern you.”

            A moment of confusion and understanding passed over Link’s face. Foolishly, he asked out loud, “She’s blind?”

            Parijan growled, “Yes, but I’m not deaf, you moron!”

            Endeavor inserted, “He meant no offense by the comment.” She glanced at Link with scowl for his blatant statement, but he thought he saw a bit of a grin twist on her face for a moment. He had said the same about her earlier. “We have been traveling all day and night to get here from Port City, and had little rest. If you would point us towards the inn, we will be on our way.”

            “If you plan to see Ra’ess, you will have to go through me,” Parijan replied. “If you are the Hero, then I need a word before you can speak with him.”